Author Topic: Rough Textured Leather  (Read 1397 times)

Offline 45dash100

Rough Textured Leather
« on: October 12, 2023, 05:59:09 PM »
I'd like to make a small hunting pouch, and am looking for leather with a lot of character.

This is a scout bag from Track that has nice looking leather, it's just way too big.  Anyone know what kind of animal this came off of, or is it processed to make it more wrinkly?  Hard to tell, with most modern leathers being super refined, and lots of them are even sanded down then stamped to get texture.

Basically I'm just looking for rough textured, or even scarred leather. 

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Rough Textured Leather
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 06:52:13 PM »
Looks like pig to my eyes. Visit some leather suppliers and check their leather out.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 07:26:34 PM »
Looks like chrome tanned water Buffalo thats been vegetable re-tanned.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 10:07:31 PM »
That bag is from The Leatherman Bag Company. Ask him, he might sell you the bulk leather you need.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 02:40:14 AM »
I believe it is elk.
It appears to have the same texture as a bag I made using elk for the exterior and buckskin for the lining.  I can post a pic in a few days, if needed.
Here is an example of elk hide.  This hide is a little more pebbly than the OPs and mine.
https://www.dreamstime.com/closeup-image-elk-skin-suitable-background-texture-leather-background-texture-hyde-elk-image157618552
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:01:25 AM by bluenoser »

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 04:17:40 AM »
MuskratMike is correct. That bag is by The Leatherman. I'm pretty sure all his bags are cow hide leather.
There are many ways to get different looks and textures. The o.p. mentioned a few, also just rolling the leather opposite it's natural curve, so what would have been the hair side is on the inside of the roll,,, will give some wrinkle.
Doesn't look porous enough for pigskin. Although the pul finished pigskin leather I've worked with is surprisingly water resistant, the pores are very obvious to the naked eye.

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 06:08:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies everybody.  Looks like MuskratMike is correct.  After some searching, I found their webiste.

https://blackpowderbags.com/categories/Muzzleloading-Possibles-Bags-%252d-Hunting-bags/

Looks like all their stuff is cow hide, and they're doing something to it.  I wonder if tanned leather can be modified to look similar, or if it's something that has to be done with raw leather through the tanning process.

I could try asking for some, though I kinda doubt they'd let raw material like that out.  It's pretty distinctive, and everything they make seems to use it.  Was hoping doing something like this was a well known process, or just a specific animal, sounds like I'm gonna have to do some researching.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 06:58:58 AM »
Buffalo can be very coarse and grainy. I gave my son a buffalo bag that looked like elephant skin.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline snapper

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 03:45:12 PM »
Texturing leather is done in the tanning process.  I have cow hides that has various textures, all depending on what you want.

Tandy has a great supply of leather.  If you are close to a store, go in and look around as they have some great deals on odd lots of leather.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 06:13:01 PM »
Texturing leather is done in the tanning process.  I have cow hides that has various textures, all depending on what you want.

Tandy has a great supply of leather.  If you are close to a store, go in and look around as they have some great deals on odd lots of leather.

Fleener

Yeah, I'm afraid that's what I'm finding, not gonna be easy to texture stuff myself.  Not interested in starting my own tannery.

Nearest Tandy store is several hours away.  I remember going there a lot of years ago and only finding really fine stuff.  Great if I wanted to make a ladies purse or something else modern.  Might be worth a look again if I have to travel for something else.

Might just need to keep my eye on places like ebay.  Maybe I can find some rough buffalo leather or something.

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 06:29:19 PM »
Sometimes you just need the right words.  After searching around for Bison leather, I came across "Shrunken" leather. 

Seems to mostly be veg tanned leather that has been shrunk in the tanning process which really enhances the grain and texture.  Most pictures of it I can find online don't go to quite the extent of the picture in my original post, but it's a lot closer than other things I've been searching for.  I will keep looking.

Here's an example.
https://www.montanaleather.com/product/whiskey-utta-shrunken-bison/

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 07:16:38 PM »
Look up the leather guy on feebay

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2023, 03:44:11 AM »
Sometimes you just need the right words.  After searching around for Bison leather, I came across "Shrunken" leather. 

Seems to mostly be veg tanned leather that has been shrunk in the tanning process which really enhances the grain and texture.  Most pictures of it I can find online don't go to quite the extent of the picture in my original post, but it's a lot closer than other things I've been searching for.  I will keep looking.

Here's an example.
https://www.montanaleather.com/product/whiskey-utta-shrunken-bison/
That shrunken bison looks pretty nice. I'd try it.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2023, 04:24:21 AM »
Does tannage matter? Are you just going after a certain look?

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2023, 04:44:52 AM »
Buckleguy also sells leather of different types.

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2023, 05:00:46 AM »
Does tannage matter? Are you just going after a certain look?

Tannage doesn't matter, just wanted something with more character than plain leather.  Softer will probably be easier to work with for a bag, though veg tanned would also work.

I ordered some shrunken stuff from Montana Leather, and Tandy.  Neither are exactly the color I want, but I think I can adjust that myself.  The Tandy stuff is chrome tanned, not sure about the Montana stuff.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2023, 05:05:46 PM »
You can trust what these guys have written here.
 This piece is described in an..."Every Man A Cobbler"...post I am going to put out next week because a gent I was talking to one this very topic made me think about it.

This is veg tanned cowhide, about 3-4 ounces.

You might also want to get a message to James Rogers about his comments.  He is one of the best bag makers I have seen in years.