Author Topic: Tansel horn  (Read 1096 times)

Offline elk killer

Tansel horn
« on: October 12, 2023, 08:51:14 PM »
Been in my wifes family for a few decades no one really knows where it came from

only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Tansel horn
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 11:23:49 PM »
This type horn is a period copy of a Tansel horn, and yours appears to have been copied from an Indiana period Tansel horn based on its simple spout strap ring and geometric carvings. A number of these horns exist, some with good quality carving of figures that mimic Tansel work, but not quite to the level of the Tansels.

These horns, in my opinion, were created by individuals who had seen a Tansel horn, were impressed by it, and wanted a "somewhat similar" horn. Either they didn't live close enough to the Tansels to acquire an original horn, or perhaps finances were an issue and they didn't have the money... so they made their own or had a more competent neighbor make one for them.

I have several of these "look-alike" horns, a couple plain ones and a couple carved ones, as an interesting "relative" of the Tansels' work. Yours is a nice example with its geometric carving and clean "fish-mouth" at the throat. Probably made in Indiana [or close by] in the mid-1840s.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:15:33 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 01:07:43 AM »
 Thanks Shelby, I was waiting for your opinion. I had some of the same thoughts but was waiting for yours. Still a nice piece.

Tim 

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 01:43:53 AM »
Thanks Shelby, i should have said Tansel style horn, i know its not one of his
Took it to the Antiques Roadshow,but the appraisor really had no idea,
He said on a very good day might be worth $20 to $25

Sent you a PM
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 07:28:08 PM »
For any appraiser to say "on a very good day might be worth $20 to $25" when describing an interesting horn with a rarely seen "fish-mouth" throat and some level of original decorative carving, even if non-professional, he's got his head stuck in a place where there's no sunshine.

Shelby Gallien
www.kentuckygunmakers.com
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 09:15:19 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 12:27:19 AM »
You can’t buy a decent raw horn for $20-$25!!  Can you buy ANY handmade item almost 200 yrs old for that??  That shows a complete ignorance of early American guns, accoutrements, and craftsmanship in general!  A powder horn is a fairly common item. I would expect the majority of antique people to have had a basic general knowledge- or if not to say - I’m sorry, I don’t know.