Author Topic: Help me identify a early bag maker  (Read 7676 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Help me identify a early bag maker
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:04:02 AM »
I have a western style bag and horn set that was with a rifle I bought at auction. The bag seems to be well made and has horn/patch knife/nipple pick/powder measure/small priming horn with it. What's so interesting is a letter that was in the bag. It was written by what looks like Harry Yerklee but the first letter of the last name may not be a Y but not sure what else it could be. Anyway its dated Aug 23, 1969 and has a P.O. box in Union City New Jersey as being the city it came from. Its addressed to a Mr. Manning and after talking with Don Stith he said it might have been an early collector named John Manning but no way to tell. Mr. Yerkalee is refunding him $2 on the pouch he made for him. Also thanked him for the order so its clear that Yerklee was the maker of the pouch.

Anyone know anything about Harry Yerklee? Or Mr. Manning I would be interested in knowing more.

Thanks
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Help me identify a early bag maker
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:36 AM »
 Dennis, If I remember right there was a Harry Merkly, Merklee something like that, that used to write little tips or how to's in  Muzzle blast (MB) in the late 50s and 60s and I think he was form NJ. I've got the MB but it would take me awhile to dig through them. I'm sure some one will verify or correct me if I am wrong.

Tim C.

California Kid

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:18:53 AM »
Tim has it right, Harry Merklee used to have a tip column called From the Papers of Harry Merklee. I think I remember an occasional article as well, but its been a long time ago.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:56:40 AM »
That might be him, the first letter of his last name just might be an M but the right hand side of it goes as far down as the Y has in "Harry". But it makes sense that it would be him.
Thanks I will post a photo or two of it tomorrow.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
Here are photos of the bag. I assume the horn and small priming horn are American Bison.

Dennis

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
Dennis they look like cow horns to me. I've never seen any bisn horn that wasn't all black. Bison horn is real grainy also not the same stucture as cow horn.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 11:31:31 PM »
Dennis they look like cow horns to me. I've never seen any bisn horn that wasn't all black. Bison horn is real grainy also not the same stucture as cow horn.
You are probably right. You can see I don't know "JacK" about horns! It looked too short/stubby to be from any cow I had seen. I just assumed with the western theme it was a Bison horn.
Dennis
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 05:11:31 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 02:24:40 AM »
Dennis,
"If" you have the address that was used for Mr. Manning we could confirm if it was John or not. John Manning was a collector of note and passed away some time ago. He was affiliated with the Ohio Long Rifle Collectors as well as a number of other organizations. I have a very fine rifle that came from his collection.
Mark
Mark

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 05:24:06 AM »
Dennis,
The little horn may be custom made but I recognise the big horn as a style being made in, I believe, Mexico and imported by Dixie Gun Works in the 1960s. Dig out one of their old catalogs.

I used to buy them and rework them--they came in several sizes and with and without the turnings. They were a good, inexpensive source of a cow horn back when raw horns were hard to find.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »
The little horn may be custom made but I recognise the big horn as a style being made in, I believe, Mexico and imported by Dixie Gun Works in the 1960s. Dig out one of their old catalogs.
Gary,
I suspect you are right about the big horn. It does have a commercial looking plug in it. The "turning" also looks to be commercial.
Dennis

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »
"If" you have the address that was used for Mr. Manning we could confirm if it was John or not. John Manning was a collector of note and passed away some time ago.
I don't have the address it was sent to, only the address (top of the letter) telling what Harry (Y/M)erklee's address was. That address was P.O. Box 291 Union City N.J. 07087.
Dennis

AZ Longrifle

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »
Hey Dennis,
I wanted to let you know that I really like this old Hunting Pouch.
It now has an American Buffalo Horn by David Horn that has on antique silver Trade Cross on the bottom curve of the horn. And after consulting with Jim Smith "Beaverman", that I gave the old bag 4 coats of genuine Bear Grease, to bring the old leather back to life!
Thank you!
PICs to follow... ;D

AZ Longrifle

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 06:08:37 PM »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »
AZ Longrile,
That bag looks great! I liked the bag but I am more into the early southeastern theme. Glad you took it out west where it belongs.
Dennis

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »
Hey Curt, that turned out great!!!!!!! looks like a whole different pouch! I like that horn too! well presented.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 08:06:41 PM by Beaverman »

AZ Longrifle

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 03:07:57 AM »
Hey Curt, that turned out great!!!!!!! looks like a whole different pouch! I like that horn too! well presented.
That's in large part, thanks to you, my friend!
It's going to be my new "range bag". The Thunderbird is the unofficial state seal of Arizona.
Happy New Year, Gentlemen!

WMerklee

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 09:55:17 PM »
That would be my uncle, Harry Merklee.  He passed away in 1971.

Offline bigbat

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 11:17:03 PM »
Thats Doug Horn from Iowa

Offline Belleville

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 05:06:45 AM »
You do indeed have a Harry Merklee pouch. Am not sure if the bead work came with that pouch but he did have some options. My Harry Merklee pouch has 40 years of wear and repair but I still am using it regularly and expect more years of service.

Doc S.