Author Topic: Sailor Powder Horns  (Read 1900 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Sailor Powder Horns
« on: October 17, 2023, 12:42:53 AM »
I have acquired some powder horns that I believe are horns that were owned by sailors. These horns are a different color from most of the American powder horns I have seen. They all have different types of animals and sea life and different types of fish and sailing vessels. I am posting pictures of one these horns in hopes that someone with knowledge of sailing horns can help me try to determine their possible origin.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Sailor Powder Horns
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 11:29:28 AM »
Cool old horn. Thanks for posting
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 04:18:00 AM »
Nice horn.  Hard to see the detail in the pictures due to reflection.  It looks to have some masonic symbols and possibly a ketch under sail on it.  Both items were common on horns in the New England area and ports south (Boston, New York, etc).

Offline Tumbledown

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 02:53:37 AM »
I don't see anything Masonic.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 03:25:54 AM »
My first thought was New England  when I read the title " Sailor powder  horn ". This has what appears  to me as an alligator suggesting maybe a southern origin.  With that 1855 date Perhaps a schooner in the gulf somewhere shipping cotton.
JIM

Offline TDM

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 05:36:47 PM »
That’s a great looking horn, lots of character.

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 04:08:45 AM »
What I find amazing is the number of items that are still out there.

I have access to two private collections in the Ozarks.  I was not allowed to take any pictures of any sort!  Even though I advised two grandchildren while the kids went through college.  One family, my family was with at Point Pleasant.  Nothing has ever been published by them.  Amazing collections. 

In a way sad, but I totally, totally understand why.

Nice horn!

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 04:46:19 AM »
Regarding masonic symbols featured on engraved powder horns, they were fairly common.  One for example is the heart featured on this horn.

Offline Tumbledown

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 05:32:00 AM »
The heart itself is not a Masonic symbol. If it was being pierced by a sword, then *maybe* it could be.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 11:58:27 PM »
Powder Horns, Documents of History by Tom Grinslade, Scurlock Publishing, 2007, suggests otherwise?

Offline Tumbledown

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2023, 07:00:21 AM »
Yes, and the horn shown in the book has other Masonic symbols with it. And, if you look closely, it is being pierced by a sword from the lower right.

This horn here does not have any other Masonic symbols. This heart is not a Masonic symbol.