Author Topic: Technique for making "D" shaped divots used by Jim Kibler in his carving?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Burg

• Starting Member
What is the technique for making the "D" shaped divots used in carving.  I have practiced but have not mastered it.  I want to use three of these in a row from a small size to smaller size.  I have #9/2, #11/2 Phiel gouges and a no name smaller gouge.  It seems to me that I need to use a one gouge for the "C" part of the divot and a smaller gouge for the "I" base of that divot.  Any thoughts?   

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
OK OK seriously, imagine that shovel is a small gouge, @ 7 through 9 radius.  Go out in your yard and stick it straight down in the ground.  Pull it out.  Now go in at a slight angle maybe 25 or 30 degrees right behind and eventually (down in the dirt) intersecting with that first perpendicular cut.  Pull out the created 'wedge' of dirt with the shovel.  There you go.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline BOB HILL

Good explanation, Eric.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Jerry V Lape

The shovel is a good example.  I would add that pushing the gouge by hand for such a small mark can easily overrun the end cut.  I use a light touch with a mallet which gives better control.  As with all carving beware of the grain.  These divots are actually very easy. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
  Are there any in this Pic? TC

What is the technique for making the "D" shaped divots used in carving.  I have practiced but have not mastered it.  I want to use three of these in a row from a small size to smaller size.  I have #9/2, #11/2 Phiel gouges and a no name smaller gouge.  It seems to me that I need to use a one gouge for the "C" part of the divot and a smaller gouge for the "I" base of that divot.  Any thoughts?   

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
In the carving behind the cheek there are three groups of chip cuts.  These are what are in question.  I like Eric's description. 

So, use some fairly tight radiused gouges sharpened to a pretty sever "thumbnail" and make the cuts as described.

Offline J. Talbert

There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 Thanks, now I see them, should have enlarged it to start with.

Tim

Offline kutter

Re: Technique for making "D" shaped divots used by Jim Kibler in his carving?
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 12:46:27 AM »
Those cuts when done free hand  used to be called Spoon Carving.
Simply done with the single straight blade carving knife and the carvers skill to control the outline, angle, depth, size and then the single Chip cut that removes the small piece of wood leaving the clean cut in the piece.

But using a few chisels (gouge) of different size is an often used technique to nearly the same look.

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Technique for making "D" shaped divots used by Jim Kibler in his carving?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 01:11:18 AM »
I used a similar technique to make a way to open that sliding patch box cover.  makes it easier for my arthritic hand.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.