Author Topic: Return of the Bob Ditchburn / JP Beck Lock!  (Read 11457 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Return of the Bob Ditchburn / JP Beck Lock!
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2024, 12:46:05 AM »
Another thought…. I would bet a very large sum of money that you would not be able to tell the difference between an equally shaped cast, machined or forged spring.  The modulus of elasticity is so close I feel very confident the difference wouldn’t be discernible between any.

I think people sometimes get ideas, but often have little to support them.

Jim Kibler
Metallurgist

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2024, 01:43:05 AM »
Jim,

I guess I should be flattered that you care so much what I think.

I am totally okay with you having your own build philosophy.  In this case we differ. So what!?

Let it go man...

CE

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2024, 01:51:44 AM »
Any updates?

Hopefully by Kempton or Carlisle I’ll be able to snag one!🤞

John I am finally getting a little time to work on it! Hopefully not too much longer.

Best

CE

Offline alacran

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2024, 03:03:07 PM »
Out of many many thousands ( won’t tell you exactly how many), we’ve never broken a mainspring.  Given all of the potential issues with cast springs it’s silly to think a fully machined spring from bar would be inferior.

This is coming from a a metallurgist

Your locks haven't been around that long. I don't care how much engineering and metallurgy goes into making a product. Things can and will break, give it time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 07:11:02 PM by Ky-Flinter »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2024, 06:37:52 PM »
Out of many many thousands ( won’t tell you exactly how many), we’ve never broken a mainspring.  Given all of the potential issues with cast springs it’s silly to think a fully machined spring from bar would be inferior.

This is coming from a a metallurgist

Your locks haven't been around that long. I don't care how much engineering and metallurgy goes into making a product. Things can and will break, give it time.

I don't even know what your statement really means.  Are you suggesting that if I just wait a bit then I'm going to have springs start to break?  Is 5-6 years in service not sufficient to determine if they are suitable?  I would also ask what you are basing your opinions on.  Please explain.  This statement you made seems pretty weak at best.

Again, at over 6 figures worth of locks produced over the last 5-6 years, and not one broken mainspring, I think that any reasonable person would conclude it's a very good process.  There are things I worry about, but this is about last on the list.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to engage with silly statements like this. 

Jim Kibler
Metallurgical Engineer

« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 07:12:10 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2024, 08:02:59 PM »
Decision of the moderators: Further responses on this topic should relate to the process and progress in bringing the Ditchburn lock back and available to builders again. Other responses not relating to that endeavor will be removed.

Anyone wanting a topic on the reliability and performance of mainsprings produced by different methods should start a new topic on that subject. This thread has strayed too far for too long.
Andover, Vermont

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2024, 09:19:21 PM »
I'm glad there are a number of people making great locks available for a relatively small, niche market.  Because I don't want to.   ;D
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2024, 09:51:24 PM »
I'm glad there are a number of people making great locks available for a relatively small, niche market.  Because I don't want to.   ;D

Neither do I anymore.Enough was enough and now I seldom think about it beyond what I post here.Most locks seen on American guns are a simple design and I have made them but preferred the English designs for mechanisms and made some for the few that appreciated them,
Maybe 40 full size and 8 smaller ones.Springs,once a style is selected and material bought are the engines of any lock and I recall the earlier cast mainsprings that were the source of wrecked stocks.I used cast frizzen springs and they seemed to work.I have locks and triggers all over Europe and so far so good.
Bob Roller

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2024, 12:23:46 AM »
Decision of the moderators: Further responses on this topic should relate to the process and progress in bringing the Ditchburn lock back and available to builders again. Other responses not relating to that endeavor will be removed.

Anyone wanting a topic on the reliability and performance of mainsprings produced by different methods should start a new topic on that subject. This thread has strayed too far for too long.

Much appreciated Mods!

CE

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2024, 04:05:04 PM »

I'm surprised and thankful that anyone is putting in the time and expense to bring any new lock to market, since I don't see it as a magical road to riches .
BTW, Eric, I still have an advertisement you did some 30 years ago offering hand made locks at a surprisingly low price !  I wish I had the sense then to buy a couple  ;D

« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 08:44:32 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2024, 04:15:38 AM »
Appreciate the update, and hard work you are putting into this. It was a large investment for you and I hope it pays dividends. I know im here waiting to make a purchase 🙏🤞