Author Topic: Colour Case Hardening Woes  (Read 888 times)

Offline bluenoser

Colour Case Hardening Woes
« on: October 31, 2023, 08:35:47 PM »
My best friend is considered by many to be one of the two best color case hardeners in North America - Turnbull being the other.  He had been getting his wood charcoal from Brownells.  They no longer stock it and he has been unable to locate another supplier who can provide the same species and quality.  His supply is running low.  It would be most appreciated if someone could direct us to other potential sources.

Moderators, please feel free to move or remove this thread if it is deemed inappropriate for the forum.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 08:39:16 PM by bluenoser »

Offline 44-henry

Re: Colour Case Hardening Woes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 11:58:32 PM »
I bought 160 pounds of hardwood charcoal from Lazzari, it was a dead ringer for the stuff I used to get from Brownells, just a lot cheaper. I believe the bone charcoal that I still have on hand came from Berger Brothers, but last time I talked to them it was not available and now it looks like they are under new ownership. Bone char is widely available for filtration, but kind of pricey too. I have about 20 pounds of bone charcoal left, but will have to start looking for some more soon, or look into making it with the volume I use in my program at Millersville. Might have to look into making it.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 12:56:07 AM »
Thanks,
I have passed that along with a link to their website.  I believe Berger brothers was providing the wood charcoal to Brownells, and thought they had retired.  Then again, I could be totally mistaken.  I understand he is in good shape WRT bone charcoal.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 01:38:11 AM »
I was mistaken on the charcoal, it was Ebonex I used to get bone from, Berger was where we bougt the hardwood from, they did not have the right stuff the last time I tried so we went with Lazzari. I will vouch for them though, stuff I have is good quality.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 03:44:53 AM »
https://joshsfrogs.com/sp/josh-s-frogs-bulk-horticultural-charcoal-40-lbs-jf00591

This is the last stuff I bought.  Seems to work okay and I assume it’s just hardwood charcoal.  Made in Canada.

I tried to buy from Lazzari several times but it never seemed to be available.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 03:54:51 AM »
Thanks folks,
I will pass that along as well.  Oskar is really particular about both the wood and bone charcoal he uses and I don't pretend to know the particulars.  I do know the wood charcoal needs to be a specific mesh size and absolutely additive free.