Author Topic: coon fat  (Read 5936 times)

olgreenhead

coon fat
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:09:14 AM »
Anybody tried to render it down for patch lube? they are bout the closest thing to a bear ?

Pvt. Lon Grifle

Re: coon fat
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »
Yepper. If you render it carefully so as not to burn it, it makes a wonderful clear oil, and is most suitable.  Getting enough coons is the problem.  Lon

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
Yepper. If you render it carefully so as not to burn it, it makes a wonderful clear oil, and is most suitable.  Getting enough coons is the problem.  Lon

Holy Cow!  Not a problem around here!  We are lousy with raccoons!  I just have not had time to harvest a bunch lately...Louisiana was the main source of raccoon coat fur way back when and even the late 17th cent French explorers here mentioned the abundance of what they thought were some strange type 'cats' here....I have read that coon oil is the closest to bear oil, but I have not tried it yet...

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »
It renders down good.  If you put it in a clear class jar with some lead shavings, it will clarify and become a lighter oil.  Heavy cloudy stuff will settle to the bottom.  Got this trick from a book by Horace Kephart and it works well.  Course then you wouldn't want to cook with it.  It's more an oil for lubrication when it's really fine and thin.
Andover, Vermont

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 07:23:36 PM »
Marmot oil is super as well. Best I've used & superior to bear oil or grease by a long shot.  Also as excellent water proofer for boots, but your dog might eat them.

olgreenhead

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:38:07 PM »
Well we dont have any marmots in mexico ny so ill try coon i do have some bear fat to render down this winter .  ;D

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »
Thing to do would be to find someone running a trapline and then figure out how to arrange to get the fat for rendering. A good fat coon will have a lot of internal and external body fat in addition to that under the skin. I'm not sure what trappers do with the fresh carcass after skinning and some buyers buy frozen unskinned critters. I didn't ever get very many so I saved the fat for oil and ate the coon for dinner on Sunday.   

If you should end up with too much coon oil feel free to swap me some.   

Lon

Offline winemaker

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 02:21:18 AM »
Check local fur buyers in your area. Our fur buyer takes 1 dollar off the pelt price if he has to flesh it, they had barrels of coon fat in the building. Don't tell your wives but all of his coon fat is sold to a cosmetic company that makes Oil of Olay.

olgreenhead

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 04:02:04 AM »
Iam a trapper so i can get plenty of it .

JBlk

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
I rendered some last year and used it on my patches this year.I don't like it as well as the deer tallow that I was using.I had frozen mine to keep it and that might of caused part of the problem.

olgreenhead

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »
hmm deer tallow never thought of that ! Hows it make pie crust?

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 04:38:19 PM »
Betty Crocker did not have an award willing pie crust recipe that used deer tallow.  Lon

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
Iam a trapper so i can get plenty of it .

I hope you are doing control work and getting paid by the coon for removing them. Right how I could see rendered oil being worth more than the fur.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »
Bear grease makes a SUPERB pie crust, used instead of lard or shortening.