Author Topic: doimg over my Kibler mountain rifle  (Read 1456 times)

Offline yip

doimg over my Kibler mountain rifle
« on: November 06, 2023, 12:53:44 AM »
  with all my suffering with M.S. i rushed my mountain rifle kit and very unsatisfied with it. sand it all down and start over

Offline Daryl

Re: doimg over my Kibler mountain rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 03:49:04 AM »
Best wishes with your endeavour.  Don't forget to breath.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 01:10:28 PM »
Take baby steps. One “section” at a time. If you don’t feel good, stop and begin another day when you feel good.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 07:17:51 PM »
Yip, about the same with my "Agent Orange" $#@*.  Get tired amazingly quick, hand tremors such that I cannot successfully put the chisel edges where I want to.  They call it "essential tremors" - but I see nothing "essential" about it.

In a couple weeks, the VA will be fitting me with an electronic device on my wrist that counteracts the signals from my brain (at least I still have that!) to smooth out the motions.  But just to complicate things, the bone that connects my right wrist to the base of the thumb will not sustain any pressure.  So 78 years of being right-handed is going down the drain.

I have a hard time battling depression now, but did successfully complete my Woodsrunner.  No carving on it, and yet it looks beautiful.  Sent the lock to a friend here on the forum, so it is really beautifully engraved.  I did use the iron nitrate to enhance the grain, and a bit of dye.

Keep at it, Yip - I know we can only do what we can.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 10:38:07 PM »
I “share” his disease and can understand (likely just a little) yours Yip. Hand/arm strength isn’t always there. This past summer I had a “Pain Block” or spinal stimulator implanted. It’s done wonders to reduce pain & allow me to sleep.

From experience I know when I’m tired/fatigued that I need to stop. At times my mind says go….but the body says stop. I’ve learned to listen to my body.

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 05:40:50 PM »
I received my Kibler kit SMR 2021 the kit is exceptional, I will be done this weekend , worked on the rifle on & off my goal was not how fast I could perform the work to be done . I own several old rifles this rifle needed to look old - not like a rifle that was made today . The metal work was done over several times several different processes . The stock was altered to my liking slightly - only one sanding after staining to achieve the presentation I had in my head . Be patient enjoy the fact that Jim has remove all the skill set needed to build a nice rifle . Embrace the fact all you need to do is finish work don't get rattled your rifle will be a fine firearm Enjoy .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline c deperro

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 07:17:43 PM »
Yip.  What are you unhappy with ? The finish? If so how did you apply it and what finish did you  use