Author Topic: Axe , and question.  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Axe , and question.
« on: November 06, 2023, 05:58:19 PM »
Gents,
This is one of the old  forever in the family axes.

It Appears to be a blocking or Masting axe.
Can anyone tell me the specific use either of these was put to?  as in, what does a blocking or a masting axe have to do that gave them a specific name?

As kids, we took it as a beheading axe!   Actually , for that work I'd pefere a bit wider blade, LOL.
blade is laminated with the hardest steel, and is Very thin.

Offline Daryl

Re: Axe , and question.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 09:02:22 PM »
Can't help you with the blocking or masting axe, Richard, but cool design, especially when you say it's very thin.
The double bit 'felling' axe is a lovely design. Looks like a felling axe to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 10:55:03 PM »
I'm assuming you are talking about the one on the right. Apart from the ears it looks like a traditional French pattern. If you look up "French axe" on duckduckgo, you will find pictures of similar axes, including a repro by Jas. Townshend: https://www.townsends.us/collections/axes-knives-tomahawks/products/french-felling-axe

From what little I could find on the 'net, it looks like "masting axe" is just another name for a hewing axe.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 05:38:42 AM »
Thank you for replies, Daryl and Nathan,

The one on the right came with us from the north east of England. Had been around  forever on the farm.

I had seen pictures from edge tool manufacturers calling this type a blocking or masting axe, but never could find out what these  particular jobs were!
Thanks for the info Elnathan.

The little double bit was a head I found when pulling out re-growth on the side of  a field here maybe 35 years ago now.
Its been my right hand man since then!
The lacing below the head is to cover scars when a friend of my sons split logs with it on one occasion!
I told him you were supposed to split logs with the head, not shaft.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 11:46:40 PM »
My very close friend Keith, 1st evening at our new Elk camp, at Elkford, B.C., walked up to a 'round' of cut wood that was sitting on the ground, that had a cone 6" high, of snow in the middle.
With my brand new double bit OXhead axe, he sunk the blade right into the middle of that 'block'. Yeah- there was no wood in the middle, just snow. it was hollow. Luckily I had picked a piece
of perfectly straight grained hickory for the handle and it split up the centre, from the head to the end of the handle.
I duck taped it back together and it lasted that hunt - a full week of cutting down trees and chopping up wood for the stove and outside 'camp fire'.
All 3 of us got our elk - how could we not? The place was named Elkford.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 08:19:57 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V