Author Topic: Baker Rifle  (Read 19447 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Baker Rifle
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:01:33 PM »
I just finished this Baker rifle from a TRS parts set.  I started it on November 11th and finished this morning.  I worked on it pretty hard, but there were days I didn't accomplish much - making a living, shooting black powder, working at the range, you know - life stuff.  Of that I spent a week building the lock, which I'm happy to say is a killer.  I finished it withy Sandy Allen's oil/varnish finish which I bought at Dixon's.  The bottles are small but almost a whole bottle went onto this walnut.  The walnut is quite hard and has a little interesting colour in the butt.  The barrel is browned with Neider brown out of Angier's book.  It yields a very fine grained plum brown.
This rifle is a gift to the man who has patiently been teaching me to play the Highland Bagpipes.  He is getting into shooting black powder and has a British 95th Regiment persona, and already a lot of great kit.  I'll see if I can get a picture of him in his outfit shooting his rifle.
De Witt Bailey's book was a great help in this build.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:10:30 AM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

keweenaw

Re: Baker Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
Taylor,

Absolutely cool!  You made record time on that considering the lock building time.  The stock finish looks great - as does the rest of the rifle.

Tom

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 11:54:07 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I made no effort at all to fill the pores of the walnut.  It's a military rifle, and I'm sure that kind of time didn't get lavished on the originals.  But it's well sealed, inside and out.  I case hardened all the steel fittings including the standing breech.  They took on a dark mottled colour, but they have skins that are glass hard.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:47:35 AM »
That's a fine looking gun Taylor, and I'm sure your friend with be surprised and more than pleased!

Wish I'd have known you were building it, as I have an almost perfect original Baker lock that I would have been pleased to sell you for an arm and a leg! ;D

Looking forward to seeing the picture of him shooting it in his outfit!

John
John Robbins

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:27:05 AM »
Better yet, to see Taylor playing the pipes in HIS outfit!
Nice work, should be a treasure for him.
Andover, Vermont

caliber45

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 02:56:15 AM »
Taylor -- Beautiful work, as usual. I was going to ask about the walnut pores, then got to your explanation about that. (I'm going to experiment with walnut, and my inclination is to leave the pores as they wish to be: visible.) One question: Are my eyes deceiving me (or is the image angle involved), or is this a slightly "cast-in" stock, vs. a castoff stock? Great work! -- paulallen, tucson az. (p.s., my brother located a Lincoln derringer kit ((Palmetto, unfortunately)) for me in Indianapolis. Can't find an Uberti like yours (envy, envy; probably couldn't afford it) nor an original (definitely can't afford it), so a kit seems to be the only solution).

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 05:11:54 AM »
Thanks for the positive feedback guys.  This piece of walnut does not have deep open pores, though for sure it has pores.  On a sporting rifle or gun you would want to fill them, so that your finish coats were piano smooth.  There was no cast off in the stock, or cast on either, and with that straight comb line, the drop at the comb is critical.  This stock fits very well, and should not be a bruiser even in .62 cal. 
I'm happy that you found your Deringer - I cannot part with mine.  What a jewel!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 05:19:06 AM »
Darn, Taylor,that's a fine piece of work. I see you got your lathe going, by the jags and tips in the box. It would have taken me a year.

You are a very generous man.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 05:27:11 AM »
Yes Tom, thanks so much for bailing me out with the lathe.  I used it to make almost all of the lock screws, and yes, the attachments.
I discovered something interesting about material that is recycled from bolts.  The ones with three little slashes on the head cannot be case hardened without being tempered.  I made and broke the heads off two before I figured out that they were high carbon steel.  I drew them all to at least brown, like a frizzen temper,  and now they are fine.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Ionian

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:51:56 AM »
Sir, that is a beautiful rifle.

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »
Beautifully clean work, Taylor! Very nice, indeed.

HISTD

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 08:48:55 AM »
A very fine rifle.  I built a Baker a number of years ago before much was available in the way of parts. Yours is much much better than mine. Beautiful work.

Sir Michael

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:18 AM »
A beautiful job on the Rifle.  I have one that Jess at TRS made form me just over 10 years ago.  I'm curious about the selection of the the 1st model stock with the two compartment patch box.  Was there a reason why you selected that version?

Is there any chance that the person you made the Rifle for can post pics of his complete outfit?

It looks like the tools you made are made of brass.  Is that correct?  Did you consider getting the tool kit that Jess makes and finishing them?  If not why?

Personally I substitute modern tools and a thread adapter in my but box and keep the ones Jess made for show.

With a 62 gr. load for target shooting to 75 yds it isn't that hard on the shoulder and beyond that and for hunting a 95-100 gr load has more kick but still not that bad.  Anything beyond that and accuracy goes to the dogs.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »
  Taylor,
    What a nice job you did on the military Anglish. I like the pores open on this model. These Anglish guns hold real well and probably shoot as good as they hold. But Dang brutha! Why did they make them so homely...all them Anglish guns are homely. Shooters and killers,Yes! but....
 I like that lock! Great brass castings too! You did a extra fine job on this one!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
Nice job Taylor.
The Baker is a neat rifle and has a good record in service it would seem.
I consider it the inspiration for first  US arsenal built military rifles to the Mississippi rifle anyway.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
Taylor
Very nice rifle indeed.Great job on a great rifle!!The Baker is one that's on my to do list sometime.

Mitch

Offline TPH

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 06:30:48 PM »
EXCEPTIONAL!  *sigh*

You are a fine builder and TRS really came through for you Taylor. Thanks for letting us see another example of your work.
T.P. Hern

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »
Thanks again fellows.  Just for interest's sake, I weighed her, and she's a solid nine pounds, without the sword.

We ordered the parts to build the 1800 model - the first Baker - to fit in with the client's persona in the 95th Regiment.  And I liked the look of the architecture  better than later models.  It's owner, Sheldon, is still in the process of assembling his clothing, though he has all of the accessories and leather and the shako.  He is just finishing up a Master's Degree, so his attention is on more important issues than this rifle, but he picked it up last night and for once, could not find anything to say.  Perhaps during the coming summer we can get him out shooting it, and he can continue to assemble his kit.
The accessories that came with the Baker originally were a slotted wiper, a ball "drawer", and one tapered pin to act as a handle on the muzzle end of the rod.  All were of steel, but I made them of brass to spare the bore, which is like a mirror.  I polished the face of the breech plug, and you can look down the bore and see it clearly.  It helps to see the bore too.  To have a set like the originals would be a good addition for show.  I included a second pin so that he could run it through the accessories to tighten or loosen them as well.  They are threaded 12 x 24.
Your load selection sounds appropriate, and was in the ball park of where I thought we'd start.  A .600 pure lead ball and a .020 denim patch is a good tight seal - engraves the ball deeply.  Baker rifles were issued with a mallet - every second one that is - to start the tight patched ball.  Once in the muzzle, the steel rod pushes it down easily.
If anyone is interested in building one of these, be sure to contact me to discuss its nuances.
D. Taylor Sapergia

northmn

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
As I really enjoy watching the Sharpes series concerning the 95th in the Napoleanic wars the Baker is to me a very interesting rifle.  Nice to see repos being made.  They served the English for something like 40 years before the Minnie ball and Enfield became the norm. Bailey stated that they were based on the German Jaeger.  Nice rifle.

DP

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 08:59:45 PM »
This rifle is going to be a great hunting rifle.  Sheldon is a moose and mule deer hunter, and is looking forward to taking his game with the flintlock.  I was happy to read that the barrels were browned, as the only other modern example that I could find, had the barrel bright.  As a hunting rifle, the browned barrel is obviously better for concealment.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »
Taylor, nicely executed! we see very few Bakers out shooting at events here in the PNW, I actually only know of 2, Sir Michael's and one of those Middlesex Village poc's! If Sheldon is looking for a resource for uniform construction and a maker of such that doesnt have to be shipped from over the pond, have him get in contact with Sir Michael, he has painstakingly assembles quite the kit and a couple different Uniform versions of the 95th.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2009, 10:30:26 PM »
 That is a beauty! Nice job just doesn't seem to be good enough.

Tim C.

Sir Michael

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 10:51:53 PM »
What twist does the barrel have, 1:120 (original) or a faster more modern twist?

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 12:01:17 AM »
I know the originals had a 1:120 twist, but I didn't take the time to measure mine.  I suspect it is 1:66 or 1:72.  I don't know why - perhaps someone mentioned it, like Jesse, when I ordered the parts.
I will contact Sir Michael on Sheldon's behalf regarding 95th kit.  Thanks for that great tip, and for all the kind words from Y'all.
D. Taylor Sapergia

dickert54cal

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 05:21:53 AM »
Splendid job Taylor!