Author Topic: Sand casting triggerguard  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Jdbeck

Re: Sand casting triggerguard
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2023, 06:42:53 PM »
That’s a granite slab laying on firebricks ontop the cooler btw. 🤣🤣

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2023, 07:42:23 PM »
The cooler is what I find most interesting.  Mostly because I can't determine how much beer is inside.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2023, 08:49:39 PM »
The cooler is what I find most interesting.  Mostly because I can't determine how much beer is inside.

If you watch my videos occasionally I miss the cuts of me drinking Yuengling. Just assume it’s always near by🤣
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 01:40:29 AM by Jdbeck »

Offline t.caster

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2023, 04:58:04 PM »
Oh, Yuengling! I'm so jealous.
Tom C.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2023, 06:58:12 AM »
It is amazing how quickly a little moisture will cause a major explosion. I had a student who got covered in molten bronze once from head to toes when trying to pour the remainder of a crucible into a cold ingot mold which must of had a bit of moisture. We found bronze 20 feet in every direction. Student had a full foundry suit and face shield on so wasn't hurt, but if he had been dressed like you it would have been real bad.

We do a lot of casting in my program and those incidents are rare, but I would seriously consider getting a decent face shield and foundry jacket at the very least. Your casting does look really nice, please take some basic precautions so you can keep on making them.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2023, 12:54:49 PM »
But seriously….molten metal has “bad” things happen all the time. But you only get one “bad” if you don’t have the right protection.

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2023, 08:26:55 PM »
I appreciate the concerns, I’ll definitely look into the Jacket and face shield. I was planning on getting a face shield but tractor supply was out and I am impatient. Exploding metal—now that would not be fun!

Luckily the petrobond has no water content and the oil burns up, almost zero gas, and the item and box is well vented. But better to be safe than sorry.

I’m also looking at getting a silicon mold kit to make wax copies and try investment casting- figure I’ll
Get better results.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2023, 03:18:08 AM »
I was casting balls in the basement stairwell in the carport, when a large brown moth flew into the 20 pound pot. Well, it emptied itself. Good thing I was wearing glasses and a sweater, both
ruined. There is still lead stuck in the paint of the steel door surface. That happened, maybe 12 years ago. I was lucky the lead blew mostly up and forward, not back at me. I did get a few burns
on my face, but nothing serious. Could have been. The glop of lead that hit my sweater under my neck, was a large glop, probably 600 to 1,000gr. worth.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mountainman

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2023, 11:12:52 PM »
Hey cool!! I just got  an order for a J. P. Beck, I'd be interested in buying a set as well!
Let me know if that works for you?