Author Topic: .50 cal on a Vincent..too much?  (Read 4567 times)

TomK

.50 cal on a Vincent..too much?
« on: December 12, 2009, 04:26:17 AM »
My Vincent 7/8" stock seems slim/semi-delicate, I'm wondering if it'll be able to take take a moderate .50 cal charge without turning into kindling. Can't find much info on original Vincent rifles.

Offline wvmtnman

Re: .50 cal on a Vincent..too much?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 05:10:51 AM »
A couple years ago I made a .45 caliber Vincent style halfstock.  I was shooting 80 2 f (getting very good grouping at 100 yards) and had the same concerns.  After a couple hundred rounds I figured it was safe.  So, I built one in a .50 caliber for my father in law.  He has put countless rounds through it with no problem.  You will be fine. 
                                                                               Brian 
B. Lakatos

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 02:20:20 PM »
       I have built a number of them using 7/8" 50 cal. G.M. barrels.  They make a nice light little rifle that is easy to carry in the field.   Don't worry a bit about.  Fit the breech area well, as that is in effect your recoil lug.  You should have no problems.   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

TomK

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:20:11 PM »
Thanks guys, it'll be build #3. Build #2 is underway with far fewer mistakes/overinlets than #1 :D

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »
I forgot to add, my father in law is shooting 110 of 2 F, a .020 patch and a .495 round ball.  That is a little too much powder for me but the proof is in the paper. His rounds are dead on at 100 yards.  Last year he got a BIG 10 point using that combo at 110 yards.
                                                                   Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:56:22 PM »
The stock is not the problem. Its the buttplate that would worry me.
But I have only done one Vincent and its a 45 x 1" x 42"

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

TomK

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:40:07 PM »
Yes, that is a skinny little plate, might come out through the shoulder blade!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
The rifles made at the time and place of the "classic" Vincents were not made for big game hunting and it shows in the stock design and buttplate. These were offhand target and small game rifles.
A Leman buttplate is bad enough in a 50-54.
Even when shot off the arm as they were meant to be they are not fun in larger calibers.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »
What Dpharis said is very true.  The 50 caliber I made my father in law does pack a punch.  Most of those rifles were originally made in the .30 to .38 caliber range.  I have a .36 in that style and I am able to shoot it all day.  They were ment to be rested on the bicep, not the sholder.  However, right now I am making one in .45 caliber to use as a target/hunting rifle.  I am using a 37 inch 15/16 barrel, for the purpose of cutting down on recoil.
                                                                               Brian
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:01:34 PM by wvmtnman »
B. Lakatos

Offline deano

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:28:22 PM »
I really enjoy carrying and shooting the .40 Vincent that I built a few years ago, but like others have already said I think there are styles that would be more comfortable to shoot in a .50. That little butt plate out on your bicep with a .50 kick would not be too enjoyable. Particularily in a hunting rifle when you may not have the time to "settle" the gun in correctly before your shot.