Author Topic: impressed with Kibler SMR  (Read 1761 times)

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
impressed with Kibler SMR
« on: November 13, 2023, 01:54:25 AM »
I was able to see, handle and shoot a Kibler SMR yesterday. First-time.

To begin, I was amazed at how slim and dainty it was (45 cal) It was beautiful and not just easy on the eyes, but it was a pure pleasure to handle and carry. The forehand wood was incredibly slim as is the entire gun. When aiming, even though it is extremely light, it has just the right amount of weight up front to feel quite steady when holding the sight picture. I found the sights small and precise. I did have to cant my head a little different than I am used to to get it all lined up, but when I set the trigger and took aim and carefully touched it off, I was very pleased with the trigger weight and the ignition was instant-- the perfect blend of surprise that makes for an accurate flintlock, at least in my experience. I only shot it once, but witnessed it two more times and every ignition was instant.

The gentleman who is the proud owner, and who put it together is local to me (and actually frequents this forum). He did a very fine job to my untrained eye. He attributed his success to the quality of the kit.
I don't know about that, but I do know that his Kibler SMR rates up there to fine and very fine as far as I can tell.

Jim Kibler, that there is a VERY nice kit, and a VERY nice shooting long rifle.

Ken Prather
Galations 2:20

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Re: impressed with Kibler SMR
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 05:46:13 AM »
Indeed I too am impressed by Mr Kibler's work.
I'm even more impressed by the fact he has the drive,ambition, and skill to do what he has created for those in this lifestyle.
I hesitate to call it a hobby because its more a state of mind and soul.
I made the remark several years ago,if Mr kibler ever was to make a Hawken kit,I would probably have to sell both my motorcycles to buy one!
Welll--- in 2018 I began having various ailments that helped me decide my riding days were over,and that was ok,.
Ihad ridden many years with no serious problems,so I sold both and actually broke even.
Now, When he does get the hawken project going,the money is no issue,thankfully.
Just being able to score one will be.
I wish him ,and you all, the very best.
Have a great evening. Dave  8) 8)

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 05:05:41 AM »
I haven't shot my SMR - waiting for my lost fly when I disassembled the lock . The rifle is amazing to handle so light thin elegant. Some rifles just have a feel you cant beat improve out of the box . The whole Kibler Network is a joy to deal with vey helpful . The rifle is a value I can see another SMR project .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 09:07:43 PM »
What's not to like?

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 01:08:31 AM »
I have posted pictures of mine before so sorry for the repeat pictures. Several years ago Jim was gracious enough to build me SMR from one of his kits picking out a very fine piece of wood. He inscribed my family name on the patch box and added a toe plate. This is my families heirloom rifle that will never be sold and hopefully years from now one of my grandsons or great grandsons will be proudly shooting it. Mine is in .40 caliber. If it looks familiar it is because Jim still posts a picture of it in his full page ads. I have a couple thousand balls shot through it and it shoots as fine today as the day I took it out for the first time. Thank you Jim for creating this fine piece for my family.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Matt Evans

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 06:55:19 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Ken. Ken invited me to camp with him for the day, so I took him up on the offer. I have to add Ken makes a dang good steak on a camp fire! I bought along the SMR to see what Ken thought of it.

For years I’ve wanted to build rifles but I haven’t any idea of what one should feel, look and handle like. I bought the SMR at the end of last year do to the look of the rifle and I’m glad I did. It handles like a dream and it shoots like one too.
    In my opinion for what it’s worth it’s not a kit gun and I didn’t build it. It was more of an assembly and finish. I did very little fitting of metal to wood. I might add anyone building one of these make sure you have clearance for the lock bolt. This one did not and the bolt was touching the wood. I’m sure the stock would have cracked over time if this wasn’t fixed.
   Kibler builds a an amazing product and I’ve thought about buying a Woodsrunner, but I think my time would be better spent doing what I’ve wanted to do for to long. I’m hoping to start a scratch build soon.

I never realized how hard it is to take pictures of these rifles! The pictures just don’t do the rifle justice. Anyway here is what I ended up with. Matt

« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 08:33:40 AM by Matt Evans »

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 03:33:33 AM »
Wish he'd produce a percussion version of that rifle.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 01:59:19 PM »
Wish he'd produce a percussion version of that rifle.

The flint lock can be converted to percussion fairly easy. If you don't feel comfortable doing it I am sure someone here would be happy to discuss doing it for you.

Personally I would learn to shoot the flint rifle properly.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson