Author Topic: Mistakes are the best teachers  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Ats5331

Mistakes are the best teachers
« on: November 15, 2023, 06:28:44 AM »
Laying out a bucks county tonight, was going alright until I went to cut the forestock profile. Needless to say, it didn’t go well.

I know mistakes are part of learning, but jeez I hate making them!

Is it me or does anyone else get extremely anxious with how skinny and slim the Bucks county rifles are??

Maybe it’s just one of those nights in the shop…

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Re: Mistakes are the best teachers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 03:31:26 PM »
Ok- what happened?

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 05:54:22 PM »
Bandsaw blade bucked on me, which never happened before. Took out a good hunk at the lock panel area. Not sure if there is still enough meat to continue. Might need to pull another stock and use it.

I’m still investigating what happened with the bandsaw..it seems like the tightness on my blade changes throughout cuts. I tightened it right beforehand and I think it somehow came loose.

Offline Cotton1of2

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 08:08:29 PM »
Sounds like the idler wheel and or idler bearing are worn. It will cause variable tension.

However, if your blade “bucked” as you say, it sounds like it was clogged up, maybe using too fine a tpi for the thickness.

You should have no less than 3 teeth engaged in the work and no more than 24. If you’re pushing so hard that one slip takes out a lock panel, your blade is likely too fine and or clogged/damaged.

Broken and damaged teeth will also cause issues. Make sure the blade doesn’t hit anything hard when opening, don’t throw the blade and run.

Also, buy quality blades, don’t cheap out on this. I know because I sell them for a living.

Hope that helps.

-Ryan

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 08:41:00 PM »
Glue to chunk back in. The old masters would have.
Psalms 144

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 12:19:31 AM »
Glad you weren’t injured at least.

Offline Bill in Md

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 02:07:51 AM »
I have found that using 18th century tools to re-create 18th century weapons makes for a less nerve racking and more controlled experience.
The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 05:20:22 AM »
Yeah, looking at it tonight, it may be useable but this sucker is skinny now.

Pulled another stock, got all laid out again and used handsaws. Came out nice and clean. Somewhere the old timers are laughing at me complaining about a bandsaw haha.

Thanks for withstanding my rant, gents!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 11:48:53 PM »
Is it me or does anyone else get extremely anxious with how skinny and slim the Bucks county rifles are??

Skinny, for sure! Here's something for you to shoot for. This is the muzzle end of an original George Weiker Bucks County rifle.

John Robbins