Author Topic: Staining/Finish of lock, TG, barrel channel  (Read 596 times)

Offline Crow Choker

Staining/Finish of lock, TG, barrel channel
« on: November 15, 2023, 05:48:16 PM »
Was looking at a recent post of member and admiring the color/finish of his SMR. The lock, trigger guard and such inlets weren't stained as I see on alot of posted rifle completions. I've seen posts here and there of rifle jobs where the owner never has, a few that have. What is the main reason for not doing so. My thoughts are that while the finish on exterior wood, esp the final finish is to protect the wood esp from moisture entering the wood causing possible swelling, why not apply finish to the inlets and barrel channel.

Back in the day I refinished alot of modern rifle stocks and always applied whatever finish I was using to the barrel channel to protect the wood from use of gun oils and the elements from getting into the wood. Looking at alot of pictures of ML rifle builders the inlets are alot of times bare wood, always thought the staining/finish job wasn't complete. I'm sure there is a good explanation of why not. If for economy purposes, whatever amount of stain/finish it would take to do so IMO would be minimal and be worth the 'complete' look of the finished firearm.

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

Re: Staining/Finish of lock, TG, barrel channel
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 05:50:34 PM »
I don't typically stain/dye the inlet areas, but I will always apply a finish to them to seal them.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 06:03:10 PM »
I made the mistake of staining those areas once years ago. I had used aqua fortis( sp ). Didn't get it neutrilized well enuf and ended up with rusty internals .  :(

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 06:04:03 PM »
Originals I have had apart have no finish on the inside. I quit doing it many years ago.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 06:15:50 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 06:46:25 PM »
I made the mistake of staining those areas once years ago. I had used aqua fortis( sp ). Didn't get it neutrilized well enuf and ended up with rusty internals .  :(

Ah yes, thanks for that, I did read that once, good reason not to stain them using AF.

I don't typically stain/dye the inlet areas, but I will always apply a finish to them to seal them.

My thoughts also, at least finish to seal.

*Mike Brooks-Wonder why they didn't on the originals, maybe didn't want to use anymore product than needed, curious why they didn't.
*Thanks Tim Crosby, have to take a good look at that link.

My thoughts are at the minimum add a coat or two of finish to the inlets, the barrel channel. If the rifle is nothing but a sunny day range shooter, not as needed maybe, but if used for hunting, rain, melted snow, etc could affect the bare wood no matter how tight the wood/metal fit is. Even if a safe queen alot, sunny day only shooter wouldn't hurt.