Author Topic: Honing guide question.  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Rt5403

Honing guide question.
« on: November 18, 2023, 05:16:15 AM »
So I bought a cheap honing guide for my pfiel chisels thinking it would work just fine. Problem is it's made to hold chisels with beveled sides and all my chisels are flat on the side. I there a honing guide that works well on these flat sided small pfiel chisels?

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Honing guide question.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 09:52:44 AM »
Free hand mine on granite block with 3M abrasive films.  This way you drag the blade versus pushing it forward against a stone.  Gouges roll it as you drag  make properly sized sticks to carry the film to drag thru the inside of the gouges.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 11:15:26 PM »
For my money the Veritas Mk.II Standard Honing Guide is the BEST. I purchased this one MANY years ago when the price was very reasonable. I just purchased their Narrow-Blade Head for Veritas Mk.II Honing Guide System and their Camber Roller Assembly for Veritas Mk.II Honing Guide System. If you have a need for the other attachments then I suggest you buy the Veritas Mk.II Deluxe Honing Guide Set and save some money. My 2 cents worth ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 02:53:43 AM »
For my money the Veritas Mk.II Standard Honing Guide is the BEST. I purchased this one MANY years ago when the price was very reasonable. I just purchased their Narrow-Blade Head for Veritas Mk.II Honing Guide System and their Camber Roller Assembly for Veritas Mk.II Honing Guide System. If you have a need for the other attachments then I suggest you buy the Veritas Mk.II Deluxe Honing Guide Set and save some money. My 2 cents worth ;)

I agree.  The Veritas honing guides are great.  Like the Lindsey graver sharpening jig - you almost can't make a mistake.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 07:36:32 PM »
I use the lindsay guides and diamond plates for engraving tools.  I use the diamond plates for wood chisels too. I do not use any guide on wood chisels.  There is no magic angle.  I rough them to shape at a fairly low angle.  I use my knuckles to gauge the angle. I then come up to steeper angle for the 2000 grit lap. Then I strop on leather with jewelers' rouge.  The final steeper angle puts stress on the wood being cut with a wedging effect.  That is how a katana sword is sharpened.  It also make the edge more durable.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 08:18:35 PM by Scota4570 »