Author Topic: Poole and Lenhart Flintlock Rifle  (Read 1475 times)

Offline BigSkyRambler

Poole and Lenhart Flintlock Rifle
« on: November 18, 2023, 05:30:41 AM »
This .54 Late Lancasterish flintlock is one I have had for several years.  Top flat is engraved "L Poole * AW Lenhart". I was told that Poole and Lenhart were gunsmiths and competitive muzzleloading shooters in eastern Oregon years ago. Lock unmarked.  Has North Star double set triggers.  Anyone familiar with these two builder/shooters?

Offline jmf

Re: Poole and Lenhart Flintlock Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 03:55:18 PM »
What is the last photo of?

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 05:25:09 PM »
What is the last photo of?
Trigger plate. It’s a North Star.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline SDH

• Starting Member
    • Fine Gunmaking
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 07:34:46 PM »
Yes, I knew "Louie" Poole and "Bill" Lenhart quite well but it was a long time ago. As I remember they were based more in the Portland/Salem area of Oregon. They attended shooting matches and rendezvous in the Washington to northern California circuit in the 1980's. Poole was the elder and Lenhart the apprentice who came to outshine his master and do the majority of the work. Lenhart took the engraving of the rifles to a much higher level an improved the overall quality although he Always credited Louie as his mentor and I believe the workshop was Louies'. i have no memory of ever being there.

I guess I lost track of them in the early 90's(?) due to changes in my own life. At that time there was a very active shooting circuit with major competitons and the a demand for quality ML guns and rifles. All custom builders needed to provide accurate and highly functional rifles which Bill and Louie did. The inlay work, patchboxes, carving and engraving set their rifles apart. I would say Plains rifles were more popular and larger calibers prevailed, (.50-.58). Most barrels were straight and many folks hunted with their guns. Bill and Louie built mainly Penn. style long rifles with these regional influence. Your fine rifle sure looks typical of their work.

There was a major ML gunshow in Kent, WA, a major winter shoot in Bend, OR and a major fall shoot in Grants Pass, OR along with a host of other rendezvous and shoots in between. I would believe the two attended all of these(?) My memory certainly could use some reminders, it was a long time ago. A pleasure to be reminded~~
Steven Dodd Hughes, Gunmaker

Offline BigSkyRambler

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 02:37:48 PM »
Thank you Stephen for such great information. 👍

Offline jmf

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 04:34:09 PM »
I have a plains rifle Poole and Lenhart built. Its unique in that Poole built both the lock and double set triggers for it. The mechanisms are unlike any Id ever seen. The barrel is unmarked except for their signatures. I do wonder if they also made the barrel. I rather doubt any reputable builder would defarb one, but I dont know.

Offline SDH

• Starting Member
    • Fine Gunmaking
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 06:23:27 AM »
"Its unique in that Poole built both the lock and double set triggers for it. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I remember Louie Poole built his locks with coil springs(?) I do not remember them as barrel makers.

Offline jmf

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 04:33:51 PM »
Yes sir Steven, this back action lock uses a coil spring. The trigger uses a coil spring also. Thanks for your recollection on the barrels.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 09:27:12 PM »
I believe that Bill Lenhart was doing some custom work on his own after Poole passes on . He also did some work for the Gun Works . Thanks for reminders of past Events in Oregon Steve.

Offline SDH

• Starting Member
    • Fine Gunmaking
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »
Good memories for me too, Ron. I don't remember the names of the shoots at Grants Pass, Bend or?
I do have fond memories of canoeing into Frog Holler, Fall turkey shoots, with live turkeys and your Get together around Albany? We did a lot of shooting and prided our guns in their accuracy and reliability.
A Fellow just sent me pics of an American Fowler of mine from the 90's. He bought at the Tulsa Gun Show last week.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 06:54:45 PM by SDH »