Author Topic: Tang for Ithaca Hawken patent breech  (Read 622 times)

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
Tang for Ithaca Hawken patent breech
« on: November 18, 2023, 10:06:29 PM »
I'm thinking of making a new stock for my Ithaca Hawken and would like to put a new tang in it to accept the patent breech plug. I'll have to drag it out of the safe but I think it's a straight breech and probably 1" at the breech (.50). Is this possible?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Tang for Ithaca Hawken patent breech
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 04:57:37 PM »
 Several ways. Make a standing breech from scratch or find one that fits  the hook or  can be fitted to it or  reshape and/or MIG or TIG weld on the one you have.  What I would do, is pitch the entire breech and just put on a new one that is properly fitted to the barrel. Because I would bet this one has a fouling trap in front of the threaded portion of the breechplug.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
Re: Tang for Ithaca Hawken patent breech
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 05:43:14 PM »
I want to put a new tang into a new stock but keep the old tang in the old stock so I can switch back to it if I want to. So I don't want to modify the breech plug in the barrel. All modifications would have to be in the new tang. I just don't know where to buy just the tang. I see a couple of tang/breech combos for sale and are pretty expensive to take a chance it will work.

I admit, this may be a fool's errand but the main reason for the new stock is the length of pull is too long but I haven't measured it lately. Shortening it may make the stock look funny.

I did measure it. It measures 14 1/2", a whole inch over my pull so it would look funny if I shortened it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:02:42 AM by reddogge »