Author Topic: another bore cleaning question...  (Read 1240 times)

Offline taterbug

another bore cleaning question...
« on: November 20, 2023, 06:28:28 PM »
didn't want to hi-jack the other thread, but it got me thinking... ???  ow?

On Friday I shot an older .45 (from a 45 year old kit), and used some pre-cut, pre-lubed patches, thinking to get rid of them.  I don't remember the brand, and I think I had never used those patches before.  Now I'm not even sure where I got them.  But after about the third shot, the sulphur smell was very strong.  the smell got worse with each shot.  Same powder and caps as my last shooting session with a .50, only thing changed was the lube (and brand?) on the patches.  the gun shot and loaded fine with those patches, just never had such a strong sulphur smell.    I normally use a WWW mix, or a 'moose milk' substitute, or liquid #13 as patch lube, and cut patches on the muzzle.

Had a heck of a time getting the barrel clean, with lots of thick, black, slimy goo on the first 3 cleaning patches.  And that was with cold, filtered, not-softened well-water.  Same water I always use to flush the bore, again only difference was those pre-lubed shooting patches. 

All this talk of cleaning has got me a bit concerned.  I'll have to check on this bore again today.  Funny, but I never worried about it before, and never had trouble.  But I really don't remember ever having this slime in the bore.  Hope it's just those patches.  They may have to turn into fire starters in my brush piles.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: another bore cleaning question...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 06:47:07 PM »
Could also be atmospheric conditions, humidity and so on. Until you do head to head with those patches and what you usually use, probably no way to know.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Frank

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 06:51:14 PM »
A teaching moment here. If you don’t know what it is, don’t stuff it down your barrel.

Offline taterbug

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 06:58:26 PM »
could be, but I really dont want that slime in any of my barrels again.  And I've never seen that slime before, in all different climate conditions over the last 45+ years. 

I'll not be using those patches for shooting again. 

they might make for good axle grease if I had a salt wagon.  Or maybe use it to grease the bird feeder poles to keep the squirrels out.

Offline taterbug

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 07:00:36 PM »
Frank, definitely right about that!!  Stick with what I know

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 07:02:50 PM »
Curious what those " older " precut patches looked like after shooting?  Sometimes certain lubes will de-grade the material and cause patch blow out. If the lube was old it might have caused the effect you experienced.  :-\

Offline taterbug

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 07:03:51 PM »
just got to go back and check out that bore a couple times to make sure that lube 'stuff' didn't cause some sort of other issue with cleaning or storage...  >:(

Offline taterbug

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 08:30:06 PM »
smylee, unfortunately we were on a public range, and a bit crowded for space and time.  wasn't able to search for used patches.  last Friday before gun deer season, so lots of guys sighting in with the big boomers!

yes, I've seen old pre-lubed patches degrade before too, enough so they actually tore at the muzzle.  These were still flexible, and didn't tear.  Cant remember how old they are, but thought they'd be ok.  Maybe for a hunting patch, where not many shots would be fired? 

Dunno, but I'll not be using them for shooting anymore.  Too much mess and too many questions.

Offline Matt Evans

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 06:14:52 PM »
The sulphur smell is from you powder. Anything change with it?

Offline JLayne

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 02:18:37 PM »
I’ve had similar difficulties with cleaning using store bought preludes patches when I was staring out. Once I switched to liquid lubes cleaning became much faster and easier.  I also have some ToW mink oil I also want to try for the winter months when the liquid lubes don’t seem to work as well.

Jay

Offline taterbug

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 06:32:10 PM »
Matt, funny you ask about the powder.  I only had about 1-2 ounces left in my flask from the last time I shot from it about 5 years ago.  I topped it up from metal can of 3F that I've been shooting from for the last 25 years.  (No, I havent been shooting a lot lately) 

so no intentional change in powder, unless it's just 'aged to perfection' now...

Kinda hate to crack into the newer stuff, cuz then I wont have it anymore.

next time out will be back to cut-at-the-muzzle and my regular winter liquid lube.  Will report back with the results.

maybe even try the postal if there is room at the range. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2023, 10:40:36 PM »
We have used WWWF + a tich of oil. Maybe 2 ounces of Neestfoot oil to a quart of Winter Windshield Washer Fluid. I kinda like the Blue Thunder brand as it doesn't have "special" de-icing chemicals
or anti-streaking chems. in it. This stuff shoots about the same as spit or other water-based lubes, so doesn't change the point of impact or accuracy like some oils and greases do.
These changes usually result from switching from an oil or grease to a water based lube. Some guns, like my .69, made no change, however my .45 and .40 changed considerably, needing 10gr. more powder to shoot the slippery lubes.
The use of oil in addition, is to add 'some' lube to basically a water/alcohol solution. We use this so it won't freeze in the winder and the oil helps slow the evapouration (or not) in the summer time. It does add 'some' lube to the "solution". Too - it's cheap and a gallon will last a year or more.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V