Author Topic: Dad made this swivel barrel  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Cornernotch

• Starting Member
Dad made this swivel barrel
« on: November 23, 2023, 01:03:19 AM »
He made this piece in the seventies. I think it is 45 caliber one bore rifled, the other smooth. I am interested in comments and thoughts on a value. The lop is 14 1/4 and the barrels are 38". He used to shoot it, but it has been hanging on his study wall for about 30 years. It also needs some tweaking. I can't get the patch box to open and I pulled the trigger and guard down out of the stock trying to swivel the barrel. Can anyone recommend someone to look at it in the Toledo, Ohio area?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 02:57:26 AM by Cornernotch »

Offline Daryl

Re: Dad made this swivel barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 06:23:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum, BTW.
Other than the obvious neglect, interesting swivel-breech for a 70's gun.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Cornernotch

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 01:29:54 PM »
Thanks Daryl

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 05:48:23 PM »
Get an oily patch down those barrels pronto.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline foxm2015

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 06:21:10 PM »
While a bit of distance from Toledo, OH the Log Cabin Shop near Lodi, OH may be able to help.

https://www.logcabinshop.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 09:45:15 PM »
Get an oily patch down those barrels pronto.
They will need some scrubbing, but might get away with only maroon Scotch Brite.
Daryl

Offline Cornernotch

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 05:39:53 AM »
Did some scrubbing with oily patches over an undersized bronze brush and then moved on to the green scrubber part of a kitchen sponge. It worked amazingly well in a short time. I also took the barrel off and discovered that the trigger plate is held in at the rear by a pin and the front edge by a very slight bevel against the barrel lug and friction from the stock. The swivel seems to be a simple friction affair that has corroded together somewhat. It's soaking. I also rapped the button for the patch box with a little nylon headed h hammer and it opened. So far, so good.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 05:51:15 AM by Cornernotch »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 09:34:55 PM »
The bore shot shows it needs more scrubbing with a maroon Scotch Brite "square" on a jag.
It might need lapping, but the SBrite actually will do an amazing job. It's gotta be tight. I usually
spray them with WD40, to help 'hold' debris.
Daryl

Offline Cornernotch

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 03:05:29 AM »
Thanks for the input. That is a really crappy picture of the bore, but you're right. Much more scrubbing is needed. With my inspection camera I discovered a pile of gunk below the touch hole. I need to get a scraper on the end of my rod and get that out. Thankfully there isn't a lot of pitting.

Offline oldgunguy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 08:11:00 PM »
Sir nice job for the time, back then not many people know about SB guns, in the 197s the person that did was Leonard Day, he passed away  FEW YEARS AGO SADLY. 
His son JOHNATHAN DAY is doing some work on bringing back his fathers guns, look him up for help or to maybe to fix this old rifle.  I sell parts to build SB actions, and have a few sets left, give me a call to see how I can help.  Bernie at  pioneerarms.com