Author Topic: Rust blue advice needed  (Read 7994 times)

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Rust blue advice needed
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2023, 10:26:53 PM »
Have you tried a different brand of distilled water? I know it sounds weird but I’ve had some brands that didn’t work.  Never did understand why.

Offline bobw

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2023, 06:26:13 PM »
I’ve been having very good luck with Mark Lee’s express blue.  I did a barrel, 4140 steel, last Monday a week ago, 3 hours start to finish and got a very nice blue/black finish.  10 cycles using scotch-brite to card and I can rub as hard as I want and doesn’t go through the blue.  Had a conversation with Mark Lee last week and he doesn’t even plug the barrel anymore using this, but does not blue the muzzle, just polishes it when done.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2023, 08:44:20 PM »

Waksupi-always nice to hear of others that have successfully changed to steam.  I tried a longer steam a couple of times and didn't seem to get change after 10 minutes.  Does your longer time give you a faster or deeper color?

[/quote]
I believe it just benefits completing the change of the processing. For more color, more cycles. I usually repeat around a half dozen times. The lighter the layer of oxidation, the better the results.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana