Author Topic: John Painter Rifle  (Read 1886 times)

Offline 1JPainterDecendant

• Starting Member
John Painter Rifle
« on: December 01, 2023, 06:47:44 PM »
  Hello I am relatively new at antique rifles. My interest is mainly John Painter or makers in Botetourt county Virginia. JP was my Great Great Grandfather. I recently acquired my first rifle this summer and am interested in acquiring more but that is not the intent of this discussion.
  My interest in this discussion is to try to get an idea how many JP rifles or pistols are out there. If anyone has any or knows of anyone that does please comment and share pictures if you have them. Thanks so much.

Offline A Scanlan

Re: John Painter Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 04:13:35 AM »
I'll send you a PM shortly.  We need to talk!

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 04:24:00 AM »
I've had two Painter rifles over the years, but they have moved on in favor of rifles more in my line of collecting. But the ones I had didn't reach the level of original surface and condition yours appears to have from your photos. You have a really nice Painter rifle with typical architecture and guard, great wood... and I'm presuming it's signed. What a great way to get started on your collecting search. 

Shelby Gallien

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 04:53:13 AM »
Mine is not signed that I’m aware. I have not taken the stock off to check underneath. Not sure I will. It shoots great and even taken a deer with it a couple weeks ago. Thanks for your reply

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 05:21:38 AM »
Outstanding.  Yes we can plan to meet sometime.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 06:34:21 AM »
"Just in case," I thought I'd mention that one of my Painter rifles was faintly signed with his initials, lightly engraved in very large, scrolling antique capital letters that were hard to see and to read due to handling wear. You've probably checked it closely already, but if there's any hint of lightly engraved lines, it might be worth another check. I wouldn't worry about looking under the barrel; if he signed it, it should be on top the barrel since that was their "advertising" back in the day.

Shelby Gallien 

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 03:37:16 PM »
They are a couple Painter rifles pictured in "Gunsmiths of Virginia" second edition by Whisker & in "Long Rifles of Virginia" by Butler & Whisker

Online homerifle

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 07:24:33 PM »
I had a signed J. Painter that looked a lot like yours with a full patch box with the typical flower finial. The inside of the box was u shaped instead of having square cut sides. Sold it several years ago. Does your rifle have a patch box?

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 11:27:10 PM »
No , mine does not have a patch box. I will count yours as another in existence even if you sold it. Thanks for the reply.

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2023, 01:46:48 AM »
Do you have any of the VA books by Whisker?

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2023, 01:50:35 AM »
I do not have the books but have seen the pictures .

Offline johnhroberts1993

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 04:55:09 PM »
Just sent you a private message. Would love to share the limited information I have.

J. Painter was my great - great - great grandfather as well, also on my mom’s side, by way of Joseph Painter (my grandfather) and Leah Painter (my mom). I have been scouring the internet looking for a John Painter long rifle to no avail. Any input on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

How badass is this.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 08:17:40 PM by johnhroberts1993 »

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 07:43:20 PM »
As a Botetourt County resident and one interested in local makers, including Painter, it would be nice to have more knowledge about him.  Posting it in this or a new thread would be a good place to start....

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 04:39:15 AM »
Guess the Painter clan are somewhat reclusive ;)

Offline johnhroberts1993

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2024, 05:49:23 AM »
Sorry the late response. Within the next couple weeks I am making the drive up from Fayetteville, NC to Roanoke. I’ll be meeting with a family member of mine who has much greater knowledge of the Painter clan than I do. Any information I can dig up about J. Painter’s history with rifle making, I will be sure to pass along. At this point I’d embarrass myself speaking on it, as I’m sure there are folks here with a lot more information on the subject than myself.

One bit of information I found interesting was that many of John’s guns had rifled barrels. I’m not sure how common this was at that time in history. I don’t know why but I figured most long rifles made throughout the mid 1800’s were smooth bores.

The extent of my long rifle knowledge begins and ends with the reproduction Hawken I lug around the deer woods for a week each year.

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2024, 06:15:30 AM »
I think you will discover rifled barrels the norm. I have a lengthy obit on John. If you will give me a pm (personal message) I'll try to get it to you. There is one decendant in Fincastle but he does not seem to interested in guns or family history. May be another in the county but not sure. I also may give you a lead on a Painter rifle but it is certainly over priced if it is even available.

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 04:59:39 AM »
Sorry for the late reply. My barrel is rifled and think it was fairly common. I love cleaning it and feeling the rifling twist. By now I’m sure you have made your trip to Virginia. I hope it was successful and please feel free to share any information you have learned about.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 02:19:06 AM »
Mine is not signed that I’m aware. I have not taken the stock off to check underneath. Not sure I will. It shoots great and even taken a deer with it a couple weeks ago. Thanks for your reply

That in itself is pretty special.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Habu

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2024, 10:41:24 AM »
Someone in our local guild has a rifle attributed to Painter (sorry, I don't recall who or I'd try to get some pics).  The architecture made it stand out in my memory.  IIRC it has been converted to half-stock.  I'll try to remember to ask around and see if anyone knows who has it.