Author Topic: Return of a friend  (Read 2513 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Return of a friend
« on: December 12, 2023, 12:44:30 AM »
The following pictures are of a rifle I built in 1996 for my friend Perry Mitchell. Perry passed away a few years ago and I was able to get this rifle back from his estate. When I got the rifle back it had set unattended is his basement for a number of years and had formed a good bit of surface rust on the barrel and parts. Perry had hunted with and had shot this rifle a good bit over the years. I wish I new how many deer he shot with it but just knowing he used it makes me smile.

I got the rifle back with the intentions of restoring it back to new condition. The barrel had to be refinished and the stock finish was in pretty bad shape so I decide to refinish the stock as well. This was rifle No. 6 for me, and was built back before my days with all of the great builders that I was to meet later. I was still a newbee to gun building. I had one picture of the rifle as it was when I built it in 1996. The other pictures is as it turned out after the refinishing process.

I had decided to give this rifle to one of my grandsons for his birthday. Hopefully it will inspire him to join in on all the fun that can be had in Muzzle Loading.

It has a Getz barrel, 50 cal.,Siler lock, Freddie Harrison maple, Ted Cash pipes, German silver butt plate, Trigger guard, and side plate, Davis triggers. Frank Barlett helped me with the wire work and the engraving on the patch box. The engraving on the lock, side plate and toe plate is by me during the restoration. I could not duplicate the color of the stock, so I stripped it and went AF stain and a linseed oil/ shellac finish.

I hope you enjoy reminiscing with me about times gone by and old friends.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline David G

Re: Return of a friend
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 01:23:48 AM »
Great story Mr. Parker. Glad you were able to regain possession of the gun and give it the care it deserves. I’m sure Perry would approve.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 01:32:03 AM »
Mighty fine work!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Gtrubicon

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 01:59:33 AM »
Beautiful rifle, lucky grandson!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 01:59:43 AM »
I love it when those long lost guns show up again. I sold a half dozen of my guns for a friend that was getting out several years ago. I enjoyed seeing them again but was also pleased I have gotten better in the last 30 to 40 years. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 02:51:04 AM »
Three years ago I lost my best friend and lifetime hunting buddy to cancer. Jim was without a doubt the finest offhand shot I have ever seen and held the record for the largest elk ever killed in Oregon for something like 30 years. This summer when I was back on the east side of the state to call a match for his son Bill the family presented me with his bag, horn, accruements and his rifle. It was made in the 70's I believe by the Sharon Rifle & Barrel Company as a kit. This one was built by Joe Williams who owned the Gun Works in Springfield, Oregon for some buckskinner who died shortly after it was done. Jim bought it from Joe and has shot it in rendezvous, matches and hunted with it for years. While I am not a caplock fan I will hunt with this rifle and cherish it for the remainder of my life then have it returned to their family. Jim never cared for authenticity but did demand accuracy. The front sight was replace with an old Marbles sight from a '92 Winchester (now broken and I am waiting on a replacement). The rear sight was removed and an old marbles peep sight was installed on the tang from a Savage 99. Having this rifle means all the world to me. Every time I carry it a piece of my 'ol buddy is with me.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 02:56:44 AM »
That is wonderful, Jim! Awesome!
Eat Beef

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 06:31:14 AM »
Nice work originally Bama and good luck on the refurbish.

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 02:23:06 PM »
Nice rifle Jim, I hope your grandson appreciates what the rifle means to you and is inspired by it. Merry Christmas!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline dstock

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 05:10:01 PM »
Bama we would like to see that rifle at your show in a few weeks.
God Bless
Doug B

Offline okieboy

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 10:52:10 PM »
 Lots to like, but it is the front sight that really captures me.
Okieboy

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 08:26:37 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. It was good to get the rifle back and I can only hope that my grandson appreciates the rifle.

We all need to do everything that we can to encourage and teach our younger generation as much as we can about past and heritage. There are many evil forces out in the world today that is doing their best to strip this knowledge away from them. Once we are gone there will be nobody to fight against this evil group. It is indeed a war and we need to fight as hard as we can while we are still here.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks again for the comments
Jim Parker

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 06:44:47 PM »
Wonderful gift for your Grandson. I've got one of those to build also .

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 09:07:51 PM »
Just an update about the rifle and my Grandson. I am pleased to say he was very happy and excited to receive the rifle. I am now one proud Grandpa ;D
Jim Parker

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 02:56:30 PM »
Great looking rifle, I like the front sight!

Tony

Offline duca

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2024, 04:13:50 AM »
Holy Sh&t…. What a Beautiful Rifle!!!
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...