Author Topic: Help me identify this long rifle  (Read 1706 times)

Offline shall72769

• Starting Member
Help me identify this long rifle
« on: December 14, 2023, 06:21:04 AM »
I’m new to the forum. Just bought this long rifle supposedly made by “Jim Duncan”. Was either made in 1957 or bought at an auction in 1957 not sure which. Here’s some pics with signature. Thanks!

Offline Jdbeck

Re: Help me identify this long rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 08:45:04 AM »
Looks like Jim Duncan was attempting to do a copy of or was inspired by N. Beyer work.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 06:17:25 PM »
More like a Beck copy. Jim Duncan rings a bell. But I can't place him.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 07:07:51 PM »
More like a Beck copy. Jim Duncan rings a bell. But I can't place him.

Definitely not; obviously Beyer from the side plate with the little notches, to the carving, and patchbox.
Pictures below is the N. Beyer he was obviously inspired from:

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 07:33:19 PM »
I repopped that exact gun 30 years ago. I think Schippers has it now. here all these years I thought I copied a Beck. If that's a Beyer, It's the best gun he ever made. :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 08:03:55 PM »
Nicky Beyer was an apprentice to Beck.   So there are certainly some similarities.  Mike is also correct in that this is likely the best surviving Beyer gun out there, (and therefore probably the best he ever made).
👍✅

Decent work for the 1950’s.  The handful of people even making guns were making 1820-40 later skinny rifles with no carving and maybe a few inlays.  And mostly percussion.  Will probably take a senior graybeard to get more info on the builder (as opposed to most of us standard gray beards on here.).  Or maybe somebody that visited his shop with their father back in the day.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 08:16:08 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 08:43:18 PM »
I repopped that exact gun 30 years ago. I think Schippers has it now. here all these years I thought I copied a Beck. If that's a Beyer, It's the best gun he ever made. :P

Without a doubt. It seems his early work is far superior to his later work. Almost when working with JP Beck he was held to a higher standard. He put out some rough pieces that are much later! Some of his early work is almost identical to JP in heavy way except the engraving and carving hand.

It happens to the best of us, and some of the books have mistakes and label rifles wrong. But it’s a beautiful piece!
Would love to see the one you built!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 10:58:25 PM »
The double headed eagle looks German to to me. The Doppelkopf Adler they call it.One of the German Team
members at an International Shoot in Canada told me the double headed bird would argue with itself,foul its own nest and then start a war with everybody.Sounds right to to me ;D.
Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 11:26:30 PM »
That Duncan copy was likely made in the early 80s

Offline shall72769

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 05:23:57 AM »
Any idea what this gun might be worth? I bought at auction.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2023, 06:26:55 AM »
Straight barrel?

Offline shall72769

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2023, 06:42:46 AM »
Yes

Offline shall72769

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2023, 09:46:44 AM »
Actually it’s tapered