Author Topic: Civil War or later axe  (Read 930 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Civil War or later axe
« on: December 18, 2023, 07:01:12 PM »
This is one of my favorite “using” antique axes. I’m not sure how late these were made with a wrought iron or mild steel body and a high carbon steel bit. Possibly as late as WWI?  You can clearly see the line between the body and the steel bit. Looking from above, no sign of a weld where the eye meets the cheeks so it appears “factory” made, not “hand forged”. It’s my regular splitting axe for ash and cherry and maple which is most of out firewood here.

Andover, Vermont

Offline jbigley

Re: Civil War or later axe
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 07:30:26 PM »
Now THAT is nice! --JB

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 09:37:16 PM »
Construction the same as my much earlier felling axe but that one shows signs of being “hand forged” not made in a mill.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=59977.0
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 06:54:46 PM »
Rich,
I had a double bit like that, but think I gave it to someoene "axeless".
Yours  a grand axe.   I have a Swedish axe I found in the bush here, well pitted but a good edge and it gets used an awful lot.

Lovely thing a good axe!

Offline Rado

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 06:42:11 PM »
Does the almost mandatory"wrought iron or mild steel body and a high carbon steel bit" construction apply to Tomahawks as well?
Im thinking about ordering a hammer polled reconstruction and Im not sure what to look for when it comes to authenticity.
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 06:48:15 PM »
Does the almost mandatory"wrought iron or mild steel body and a high carbon steel bit" construction apply to Tomahawks as well?
Im thinking about ordering a hammer polled reconstruction and Im not sure what to look for when it comes to authenticity.

Yes, steel was very expensive and labor in Europe was cheap, so most tools were made of wrought iron with steel welded on. This included picks, sledge hammers, anvils, chisels, drills, plane blades, and so on. I’m referring to items made before 1780.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Rado

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 06:52:21 PM »
Thank You RP.
Oh well, this wont be cheap. :o
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 07:54:28 PM »
Thank You RP.
Oh well, this wont be cheap. :o

There should be old axes all over Europe that fit the bill. I see them on eBay. Lots from Bulgaria fur some reason.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Rado

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 07:57:32 PM »
Ive seen some French ones. These would fit quite well but they are either too big (not planning to chop down large trees) or in a way too poor condition.
I ve also seen some with a pretty modern looking producer stamp on them, but made as a iron-steel sandwich.