Author Topic: For Mike Brooks and anyone else who has built a 1776 Pattern Rifle  (Read 2820 times)

Offline lexington1

I just bought the parts for a British 1776 pattern rifle from the Rifle Shoppe. Everything came from TRS very quickly and they had everything in stock, but I have one question. The Colerain barrel came with a square tanged breechplug installed. The 1776 rifle has a patent breech. The parts came with the rear tang area of the patent breech but not the  patent breechplug itself. Should I just cut the installed breechplug down to a hook breech?

I love the 1776 rifle on your site MIke and I hope mine looks even half as nice as yours when I'm finished! :)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: For Mike Brooks and anyone else who has built a 1776 Pattern Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:22:04 PM »
I have had a machinist friend of mine convert all the 1776 breeches I've done to hook breeches for me. To be honest I don't know how he does it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:02:43 AM »
Hi Lexington,
Yes.  Just cut the tang off the plug and file the bolster into a hook that works with the breech.  I do this routinely with barrels purchased with well fitted breech plugs.  Rather than refit the barrel with a hook plug, it is much simpler to shape the fitted plug into a hook.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »
Thanks guys. I thought maybe TRS had shorted me a breechplug.  :)