Author Topic: TRS Baker  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Mattox Forge

TRS Baker
« on: December 23, 2023, 02:43:48 AM »
I have been slowly working on a TRS Baker. I got a first finish coat on it today.
Mike

Offline Scota4570

Re: TRS Baker
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2023, 03:00:41 AM »
Good job.  That is a challenging build.

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2023, 03:14:40 AM »
Thanks. Yes, you have to do things out of order. It would be a lot easier to start with an uncarved blank. There a few dutchmen around some of the parts because the machine inletting was too big. That big chunk they give you in the middle of the stock comes in handy for donor wood.

Mike

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 08:41:24 AM »
That's looking right fine Mike, one of the guys in our club bought and assembled TRS Baker built by Jess over 20 years ago or so , $#*! of a shooter!

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 09:53:15 PM »
There a few dutchmen around some of the parts because the machine inletting was too big.

That is really to bad too.  It would be easy and fast to fill the damage on the master they use in the pantograph.

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 10:49:17 PM »
There a few dutchmen around some of the parts because the machine inletting was too big.

That is really to bad too.  It would be easy and fast to fill the damage on the master they use in the pantograph.

The front pipe inletting was about 1/64 too wide. The barrel channel wound up being too wide after I filed the flats on it. The breech of the barrel is not supposed to be round, but that is how they are made these days.
Mike

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 01:43:17 AM »
In defense of TRS' Baker rifle set, let me say that the components that i received were not as Mike has described.  The barrel is indeed cylindrical, but filing the flat on the lock side to accommodate the lock and the touch hole did not require "Dutchman" plugs, nor did the forward thimble.  In fact I had to remove wood to inlet the forward thimble to get a nice tight fit.  I would not want folks to turn their noses up at TRS' Baker set based on Mike's experience.  Here's a couple pics of the forward pipe both before finish and after.

And here's the lock/breech/barrel in the finished rifle...no gaps at all.  Click twice on the picture to enlarge to full screen for a best look see.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 01:47:19 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 02:15:21 AM »
Probably more due to lack of experience on my part.
Mike

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 03:50:12 AM »
I can see how the first several of these would be a learning curve. 

I find the stock is a little "wonkie" all over.  For instance the lock panel and side plate panel are not parallel in the up-down axis. They are pinched in at the top relative to each other.  I am working on the tang today.  The vertical extension needs to land right for the triggers guard to work.  Then the clean up of the barrel channel needs to be centered.  Then the tang should center on the top moldings.  Or, is one molding off causing the center line of the tang to be something other than centered? There is a lot of head scratching for how I work. 

I do tend to work like a machinist. I want references to measure from.  I imagine if I could go with what is there, and not think so much it could come out fine.  I doubt the military armorers were not so OCD about making every thing perfect.  I imagine the stock is pantographed off a stock that works. 

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2024, 03:08:26 AM »
Finally finished it.

There are a couple of things I left out because I got ahead of myself. I have a couple of stock stamps and I have to sight it in, but it is almost ready to turn over to my friend.

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2024, 03:41:06 AM »
Taylor built one if these. I wonder if he will contribute to the thread.
It was absolutely wonderful, including the sword bayonet.
That said, he is gifted in correcting "mistakes" in kits  rifles or ships.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2024, 04:16:21 AM »
He did post some photos of his build in this thread. I would like to know if he heat treated the bayonet blafe he did. I have some of the bayonet kits to build.
Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2024, 06:25:22 AM »
I missed that first time through. Tks for the correction.
Your rifle looks GREAT!!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2024, 03:07:33 PM »
Well done!!

Offline Beaverman

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2024, 07:41:05 PM »
Handsome Baker!

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2024, 11:05:09 PM »
How was the faux damascus done? 

I did two TRS Bakers.  The wood was pantographed wrong in the same places and in the same way on both.  The second stock was not useable without dutchman patches.  I do not salvage bad stocks.  I paid for a third stock and made that one work.

OF the two locks TRS made lock was not up to my standards.  I assembled a lock from TRS castings and some parts I made myself.  It was fine.  I did not trust the case in dimples for screw locations on mine.  Both required to be the frizzens to be  casehardened by TRS again.  I could not make them work with my stash of Kasenite. 

Both barrels had the taper interrupted where the steady was on the blank in the lathe.  It was a pain to straighten out. 

The stock inletting that is done for the thumb piece is not located right.  The hole in the trigger guard is angled wrong to hit the thumb piece boss.   The solution was an awkwardly angled screw and filling the hole in the trigger guard and starting over. 

I am not randomly bagging on TRS.  My point is that these are for advanced builders that can overcome problems.  If you want a Baker it is the only choice.  Jess and his family are wonderfull people I with I knew better. 

My friend is very happy with the one I made for him.  I have not shot mine yet. 

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2024, 11:50:35 PM »
I agree is was challenging. I had to add a couple of slivers as I mentioned above. I hope to be able to get better on the next few I build.

How was the faux damascus done?
I used a modified version of the method Curtis posted a while back. Here is a thread describing how I did it on this rifle.
 https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=82089.0

Mike

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2024, 09:35:43 PM »
I did one of these which one of our club members donated for a raffle.    From the enclosed paperwork, it was evident that it was an older kit. ( 1990’s as I recall).
All the metal pieces seemed to be of good quality, but did require some finishing around the edges.  I did run into the same things mentioned with the fit of some of the parts in the inletting.  That part could have been improved .
All in all, it was not a difficult project, and turned out a very serviceable item, and I think someone will have a good serviceable muzzleloader for a long time.
I do think that perhaps some more attention to the machine inletting in spots would be a good idea if that hasn’t been done…..it was an older kit.
Mike Mullins