Author Topic: Forming a club butt fowler buttplate  (Read 1091 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Forming a club butt fowler buttplate
« on: December 27, 2023, 08:23:25 PM »
I’m working on a new turkey gun. I picked up a 20 gauge Colerain turkey choke barrel and decided to build my first club butt fowler around it, based on CB-6 and CB-7 in Grinslade’s book on colonial fowlers. The barrel is short (39”) and light so it’s going to be diminutive compared to msny club butt fowlers.

I’ll be using an English round faced lock assembled from TRS castings of a Wilson original.  I wanted an import quality lock without a pan bridle and wanted something different.  I’ve made the thimbles. 

Yesterday I l made a buttplate from 1/16” sheet brass. I use wooden forms and some of them are a buttplate casting inletted into a stout piece of hickory. I also make and use female wooden forms for various buttplates. So, I have a sort of top and bottom swage. I start by working the bend with a modified ball-peen hammer then follow up with a rawhide mallet and the various wooden forms. This one is pretty much good to go.  I poured solder into the heel to reinforce it - same as on the Marshall rifle.  I’ll solder a tab on the underside of the front extension after I get it inletted.

Andover, Vermont

Offline WKevinD

Re: Forming a club butt fowler buttplate
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 08:30:21 PM »
Nice! I plan on sitting thru your demo/ lecture/ seminar at Kempton again, hope to see the finished fowler there!

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline silky

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 08:28:51 AM »
Rich,

Can you explain how the ball peen hammer is modified, and why it needs to be in order to to make the initial bend?  Also, do you leave any of the final forming/tweaking of the buttplate to be done during installation on the stock?

Thanks for posting this!

- Tom

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 04:09:50 PM »
Tom, the buttplates I make are sort of in between the trade gun style buttplates that can be formed somewhat as installed, and regular cast buttplates. I inlet them as though they are cast buttplates but cannot just saw a profile and start inletting. Instead I get the buttstock to near final shaping wheee there will be full support for all areas of the buttplate. But I watched a video by Clay Smith and he does the same for his Carolina trade guns also known as type G. Unlike the simplest trade gun buttplates he rounds the “foot” or area between heel and toe.

Regarding the ballpeen hammer modifications; most ballpeen hammers are flat faced on the one end and a sort of rounded conical on the other. I round both faces and only use the hammer for “smithing”.  No nailing or whatever.

I’m showing my try piece here, made of thinner 0.050” thick stock. This is at the lower limit for cupped heel buttplates. I have a lot of that stock I got cheap so use it for try pieces, the odd trade gun buttplate, thicker thimbles, and engraving practice. You can see where I start beating the buttplate into the female form. Yesterday I had to glue up and dowel the form because it split from the violence. In STL I had a lot of white oak available and that made the most indestructible forms.

Hope this helps and ask more questions if not clear. Also showing another buttplate made this way.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 06:11:15 PM »
Fabricating sheet metal buttplates is a true art form. It's more work than most folks think. Keeping it from deforming and twisting is difficult. Sharpe learning curve with these. Not to steal the thunder, but here's one I did back in the mid to late 80's for a Brandenburg jeager Getting that heel bump out that far is the hard part.

dnd dice drawing

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 07:18:58 PM »
Very nice. And thick as a brick!
Andover, Vermont

Offline silky

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 10:20:30 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for the detailed write-up and photos -- helps a ton.  I'll soon be making a sheet brass buttplate for my fowler/musket; it will be heavily based upon the one shown in the photos below (much simpler heel shape, though).  Would you recommend making this one in a form or simply bending it on the buttstock as I go?  Or shape and contour just the heel portion first, inlet it, then bend the rest once the heel is pinned into the stock?  It looks to be dead flat on the bottom face, while the heel has some convexity when viewed from directly behind.  It certainly won't have a bulbous/bumped out portion.

** I screenshot'd these pics off this forum years ago... I hope it's okay to post.  If not let me know and I'll drop 'em!

Thanks!

- Tom

Offline silky

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 10:24:01 PM »
Fabricating sheet metal buttplates is a true art form. It's more work than most folks think. Keeping it from deforming and twisting is difficult. Sharpe learning curve with these. Not to steal the thunder, but here's one I did back in the mid to late 80's for a Brandenburg jeager Getting that heel bump out that far is the hard part.

dnd dice drawing

Is there any merit to drilling a few small holes in the sheet brass at the start, such that you can pin it into the form to mitigate the twisting and deforming as you work it?  Either put those holes where the nails or screws will be, or even make them small enough that once installed you can chamfer the hole a bit and fill/peen/file a brass rivet to make it disappear?  Just thinking out loud.

Cool gun!

- Tom

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 11:49:17 PM »
Tom, I have put in the lower toe screw hole a couple times. My female forms are shaped so they squeeze the sheets brass in place pretty well once the forming starts.

On the buttplate you have planned I would get the heel bend made, inlet the top comb piece, and begin final forming as it gets nailed on progressively. Clay Smith has a good video on this. https://youtu.be/-L99iTK42YE?si=1te5wlJ75GajsKsx
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 01:52:53 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline silky

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 08:54:20 PM »
Okay, I will give that a shot.  Thanks for the guidance and link to that video!

- Tom