Author Topic: Early Ketland Tumbler Questions  (Read 991 times)

Offline G Bekelja

• Starting Member
Early Ketland Tumbler Questions
« on: December 28, 2023, 06:42:12 PM »
So Chambers is closed until after New Year’s so I thought I’d ask here. This new lock had the cock not fully seated and the screw is stripped out most of its length. In the photo the screw is simply pushed in to that depth and then only gets a little less than a full turn to bottom out. I put a new screw in from a Siler and it only goes in halfway indicating to me that’s about where the threads are messed up inside the tumbler. I own taps but not a bottoming tap and I’m guessing that’s what would be required to restore the thread inside the tumbler? I am also unsure if the tumbler is too hard to tap without annealing and then re-hardening and tempering which is beyond my skill level.  In the second photo I’m showing the amount of play in the tumbler between the lock plate and bridle at about .025” which seems excessive compared to other Chambers locks I’ve used but I’m not sure if that’s an issue or not. It seems like I need a replacement tumbler?  I also need to dress the tumbler and inside of square hole on cock to get it properly seated but don’t want to mess with it if I need a new tumbler anyway. Thoughts?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Early Ketland Tumbler Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 07:18:03 PM »
Replacement tumbler is in order. You’re correct that you should not attempt to tap a hardened tumbler.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 07:18:50 PM »
Call Chambers after the 1st.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 08:52:19 PM »
Both replies are good but I would go with Mikes. If the lock is from Jim Chambers then Jim will fix or replace it. Don't mess with it until you call Chambers. Have a Happy New Year :).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline G Bekelja

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 09:20:52 PM »
Thanks guys. I’ll wait to talk to Chambers. Pretty much nothing I could do on my own anyway. Hoping they can just swap out tumbler. I already beveled my plate and started inletting.

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 06:24:32 PM »
You might get a hold of Cody Yoho in PA. He builds the locks for Chambers. Great guy and I have seen him offer to fix or repair the Chambers locks on his Facebook posts. Some of Cody's work.

Thank you
Jeff

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 11:13:35 PM »
Great display and I get tired just thinking about doing ONE even with ready to use parts.
Bob Roller

Offline G Bekelja

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 07:48:49 PM »
Just an update in case another newbie runs in to a similar problem in the future. I called Chambers and told them what I thought the problem was, that being a part of the internal threads of the tumbler not being clean. They thought so as well and said to send the lock back they’ll take a look and correct the issue.

Offline flatcreek

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 06:25:18 AM »
Had a similar problem.  Chambers took care of it and had it back in less than a week.  Great customer service.