Author Topic: Were export flintlocks drilled and tapped for lock bolts as made?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Thinking that locks normally being case hardened, presumably when made, would make drilling for lock bolts problematic. Wondering if they came drilled, with or without lock bolts. It would make construction different.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Were export flintlocks drilled and tapped for lock bolts as made?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 06:44:39 PM »
Yes, from what I understand.  Plates were typically case hardened and the threading needs to be done prior to hardening.

Think I recall hearing about locks with bolts.  Not sure where this came from.  Probably Wallace, but don’t recall.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 06:51:33 PM »
Perhaps a little later than you were thinking about, but I recently acquired an unused G. Golcher percussion lock for an upcoming restoration. I believe it dates to about 1840-1860, is not cut for the drum and is drilled and tapped for the lock bolt.  A lock bolt, which I believe to be original to the lock, was included.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 09:34:08 PM »
Yes, from what I understand.  Plates were typically case hardened and the threading needs to be done prior to hardening.

Think I recall hearing about locks with bolts.  Not sure where this came from.  Probably Wallace, but don’t recall.

I recall hearing or reading that also. It might be in JHAT vol.1, or possibly one of Biven's articles.

Gary Brumfield has some pictures of an unused - unsnapped, even - late flintlock that was drilled for a bolt here: http://flintriflesmith.com/antique_gun_locks.htm
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 02:36:20 AM »
Hi,
It would not be a problem to have the lock plates drilled and tapped and then hardened before they were imported.  You use the holes in the plate as guides to drill through the stock.  I think that may also explain why many side plates on early American guns are so ill fitting, particularly New England guns.  The local gunmaker had to match the existing holes in the lock and their designs just did not fit right.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 12:20:19 AM »
This one was center punched where the screw would go.
Cute little left hand lock.