Author Topic: Help with barrel ID....  (Read 1014 times)

Offline GANGGREEN

Help with barrel ID....
« on: December 31, 2023, 05:32:11 PM »
Most of my guns are guns that I built or who I know the builder and was involved in the process.  I'm trying to clean up and document the few guns that I have that I got elsewhere.   I was told who the builder of this gun was and I simply have forgotten, but I'll probably come around to it at some point.  He was a fairly well-known builder that seemed to like small caliber TN and southern guns the best, but I again, I forget so if anyone knows, I'm all ears (and will write it down this time).   

Looks like a small Siler lock and it's sparky and reliable.   I'm not sure whose barrel it is though.  The only markings on it are "BC-LR8" on the top flat and "".360    1-57" on the bottom flat.   I thought a 1 in 57 twist is somewhat odd/unique for a .36 caliber barrel, but I have no clue and I'm curious if anyone can tell me.   Thanks in advance for the help.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 05:35:51 PM by GANGGREEN »

Online Stoner creek

Re: Help with barrel ID....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 06:16:32 PM »
Burgess Cassidy made barrels for a number of years here in Kentucky. That might be his mark.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 06:33:03 PM »
Burgess Cassidy made barrels for a number of years here in Kentucky. That might be his mark.

I suspect that you're right, because as I recall, the builder of this rifle was from Kentucky (just found some old notes and AB Conely was the builder of this rifle).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 06:40:30 PM by GANGGREEN »

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 06:41:57 PM »

I wonder what the stamp means.  I'm not sure if it's LR8 or LRS.   Any thoughts about the quality of his barrels or anything I should know about it?  It shoots reasonably well, but I've not really had the time for load development with this rifle to be honest.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 06:59:02 PM by GANGGREEN »

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 06:55:49 PM »
Burgess and AB live only a dozen miles apart. You’re probably onto something here.
Burgess bought his barrel making equipment from the estate of Rex Maxey who was a well known barrel maker. He was however known for making barrels with wide lands and narrow grooves. It took a while to get them to group well.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 07:00:11 PM »
Burgess and AB live only a dozen miles apart. You’re probably onto something here.
Burgess bought his barrel making equipment from the estate of Rex Maxey who was a well known barrel maker. He was however known for making barrels with wide lands and narrow grooves. It took a while to get them to group well.

Thanks a lot.  Very interesting and I'm reasonably sure that your ID is likely correct if the two men truly live that close (and surely know each other).   

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 10:16:01 PM »
Maybe LRS - long rifle southern ?

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 12:39:10 AM »
Maybe LRS - long rifle southern ?

Possibly, but in this case it's a straight barrel, so I'm not sure why they would designate it as southern versus anything else.  I really think it was/is LR8 and might be the 8th rifled barrel he did?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 03:36:04 AM »
This is interesting, My old pal Milt Hodgkinson bought a Beautiful little Bedford rifle from A. B. Conley at the Tall Trees Rendezvous, in Crescent City California back in the 70’s or early 80’s. When I went to his memorial service at his home last fall it was hanging on the wall. It had an octagon to round Paris barrel, and a cast Bedford lock I think Milt and I remade every part in it at least once. Beautiful wood, and beautiful work.

Hungry Horse

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 04:11:03 AM »
That's interesting.  The contemporary muzzleloading world is indeed a very small world and I for one like it that way.   Sure, I wish more folks would become interested I guess so it would be easy to purchase things, find things of interest and share common interests, but it is curious how you can meet someone you've never known before and have something in common.