Author Topic: SO CALLED BICENTENNIAL JAEGER 1776-1976  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
SO CALLED BICENTENNIAL JAEGER 1776-1976
« on: December 31, 2023, 08:25:46 PM »
This is about an old 2009 post . I posted a reply there but due to it being an old post it gave me a notice I should start a new thread so , please read this and refer to the pictures on that old  post.  HINT HINT THE INITIALS ON THE THUMB PIECE W.F.S ARE MINE FOR WILLIAM FLYNN SANDERS AND THAT GUN WAS MINE AND MADE ONLY FOR ME  !!! The entire idea of the post was fabricated , please help me find the current owner ....I just happened upon this post . I won't post all the details yet, all of the information on this rifle here is completely fabricated !!! I have been searching for this rifle for decades. MY FATHER COMMISSIONED THIS RIFLE TO BE BUILT FOR ME AND IT WAS THE LAST GUN HE GAVE ME AS A GIFT. When he was dying of cancer I had to sell things to help out and THIS was a causality of that need. . Who came up with this phony story and please tell me who has the rifle now ? I have FULL color photos of every angle of this gun OLD ONES  and can answer any questions on the details. PLEASE HELP. I'm old now ONLY ON  SS and poor but for decades I tried to find it so I could buy it back when I had the money to do so. There is more to the story as well and more than John Cunningham was involved in the making of this masterpiece. Yes to me it was as well as a precious gift from my dad to me.

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
Re: SO CALLED BICENTENNIAL JAEGER 1776-1976
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 09:10:51 PM »

Here are a few of my old photos and in these the full names of the makers are not cut off or made blurry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 09:34:14 PM »
I don't know who Cunningham is but it looks like Kieth Casteels work to me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 11:33:31 PM »
The late Robert Guthrie from W. Va studied with Kieth Casteel . so that's the influence you see but not the artist who did the work. If Casteel is still alive you can ask him . You can see the maker's name on the barrel Both of them, even though the original poster decided not to show both names or make it clear or say what both names were, you can see that in my photos right?  I can blow it up for you if its not easy to see I believe. He also forgot to show the beautiful chisel work and stippling on the end of the butplate. Each one of those wooden cross shapes carvings has a dot of ivory in the center as well. The clamshell sling button was made from a silver coin.Do you know who has it now ? I fear the original poster might not be with us as when he made his profile  I read he was 75 which was probably before this old 2009 posting but maybe he is ? He didnot list the owners name and now I know why with that fishy fabricated  whale tail of a story

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 11:46:52 PM »
John did the basic work, stock shaping inletting , etc and then sent the rifle to Bob his friend for the carving and chiseling, wire work  and engraving. The last I saw Bob was in 2006 or 7 at the NMLRA Redvous in W Va ad he claimed to be looking for the rifle so I could get it back, he is now dead, I do find it a little odd he thought it was sold at a show in the Northeast, the big one there and had no idea where it went  but it seems to still be in W.Va since it was supposed to be shown at the Lewisburg show in 2009 at Nords table under the false story of a Gov commissioned piece etc etc as he wrote.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 01:48:30 AM »
Stuff like that doesn't pop up for sale very often. No telling where it is now. I certainly haven't seen it in iowa!

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 01:54:23 AM »
it appears it is in W.Va , the guy who posted as Nord with the photos he took and the tale of the Gov ordered rifle , knows or knew who had it and I am trying to find out if he is still on here or does anyone else know who was at that show in lewisburg and talked to him about it etc but thanks. I'm also very curious how that fabricated tale came to be and who started it. If I can even find out WHO had it then in 2009 if they don't still have it they might know who did

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 02:00:49 AM »
Will

NORD passed away in 2018.

Mitch

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 03:17:00 AM »
Thank you ,DANG !!!! Now how do I find out who has the gun as he knew who exactly  , do you know what his name was , real name , town etc maybe he has relatives that can point me in the right direction if Im lucky

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 03:42:08 AM »
I'm guessing the Lewisburg show referenced in the old thread is the Lewisburg show at the Country Cupboard in Lewisburg PA (18th Century Artisan Show) and not a modern gun show in Lewisburg WV

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 04:17:14 AM »
Thanks James,good tip ! Do they have a phone for who ever runs that show do you know ?

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 04:52:48 AM »
Will,

The 18th Century Artisan's Show was held in Lewisburg PA at the Country Cupboard.  Sadly that venue was sold.  The event was held for the first time last year in Carlisle PA at the Carlisle Expo Center.  The current POC for the show is Eric Fleisher, 717-275-2667, or through the event's facebook page.
Kunk

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 04:11:03 PM »
Thank you ,I need to find oout what City Nord lived in, maybe he had relatives that would know something of the mystery owner, the fact he did not list the actual owner's name is  VERY odd , maybe they all knew that story was bogus, maybe some one knew how I got ripped off in the old sale as well, there is a lot of covering up in this tale, the true origins of the rifle no matter how you look at it. I thought I was right there and the it goes poof again . I even wonder if Nord was the real owner !!!!

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 08:35:13 PM »
SO I found out Nord was Bruce Miller who made lots of posts can someone let me know how I might contact the family to see if they know who his friend was who had the gun ? Thanks

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 08:44:20 PM »
Have you ever heard of an internet search?
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2024, 12:12:28 AM »
what a helpful reply :(you clearly replied just to inflame  Have you ever tried ? To do an accurate search, since it appears you don't know what helps I'll tell you. It actually helps to have the city and state a person was from, then check the obits in those locations and if you find them then look for surviving relatives, then look them up , or you can try that with no info from anyone and see if you get lucky. Without actual helpful replies it's a shot in the dark at best which of course you must already know but decided to just interject to irritate, but it's ok if this is how you get your jollies. I wont be replying to any more of your replies like this.  I hope however there ARE actual helpful people reading this who can contribute mote than flames

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2024, 12:27:15 AM »
 Sorry that you incorrectly assumed my intentions.
Your story was interesting for about a day. Now it’s getting tiresome.
I wish you the best of luck in getting back a gift given to you.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2024, 12:29:00 AM »
Will

Sorry but your postings and veiled accusations come across a little over the top.I personally wouldn't give you the information needed to harass NORD's family more than 5 years after his passing and more than 15 years after he supposedly had another's rifle on his table at a show. Having known NORD I seriously doubt NORD made up the story about the rifle and was merely passing on what he was told. I understand you have an attachment to the rifle which is understandable ,we all sell things we later regret. I seriously doubt anyone would go to such lengths to conceal a rifle you willingly sold and really doesn't have a lot of value in today's market . Your veiled accusations about NORD and the guns current owner are very offputting and not doing you any favors in your search.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2024, 12:46:29 AM »
Quite honestly, my wife wouldn't have a clue what rifle I bought or sold or owned yesterday let alone back in 2005. I don't think chasing down family members will get you anywhere.
You might consider going to some of the bigger muzzleloading shows out east with pictures of that rifle to show around and ask about. Once someone sees that gun they aren't likely to forget it.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2024, 12:47:13 AM »
 Have you read the link to submitting guns for possible inclusion in the library?
This may help, back at the beginning of the library there were 6 or 7 people that reviewed submissions Bruce and one other member headed the project. When a gun was submitted all of the members of the team reviewed PIX and any written material that was submitted with the piece. They did not add to or makeup any of the material, many pieces were turned away. Things have changed over time but submissions are still reviewed and entered into the library based on information  submitted at the time. I doubt Bruce ever owned this gun, there were hundreds submitted.
 It seems your question is "does anyone know where this gun is", simple question. It sounds like people have tried to help and have given you some suggestions. probably best to let it go at that.

Tim C. ALR Admin   

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=78129.0

PS: Mitch said it much better than I. TC
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 12:51:34 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2024, 02:33:49 AM »
I see now the reply button reappeared,I sent you a PM, if anyone else wants to help they can read the posts and PM me if they would like to be part of the solution and helpful. Thank you to all who took the time to be courteous and actually be helpful, the real evidence speaks for itself.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2024, 02:29:05 PM »
I see now the reply button reappeared,

Will,
As an FYI, the only way the reply button can "disappear" for a member, is that the member IS NOT logged in. The forum software does not know that you are a member until you are logged in. One has to be a member and logged in before being given permission to make a post. If you are not logged in you have permission to view topics but NOT able to "reply" hence the absence of a reply button until you are logged in.
Dennis.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2024, 07:15:06 PM »
GOTCHA , I keep checking the sure to stay logged in but I guess it does not work . ON THE RIFLE , PLEASE ANYONE IN THE FUTURE  WITH INFO ON WHERE IT MIGHT BE CURRENTLY  PM ME OR JUST EMAIL ME AT WILLSANDERS@EARTHLINK.NET . THANK YOU

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2024, 07:38:39 PM »
I’m asking that any further posts deal specifically with information on the whereabouts of this gun, if there is any new information. There’s been plenty of advice and commentary.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Will Sanders

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2024, 08:39:49 PM »
THANK YOU RICH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!