Author Topic: Building plans for the New Year ?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
Building plans for the New Year ?
« on: January 01, 2024, 06:01:48 PM »
First off, Happy New Years everyone, and for those who require it, I hope your hangover goes away (thoughts and prayers)

My plans for the New Year are going to start with pulling out all my knives, chisels, and gouges and giving everything a good sharpening and re-organization, solid few days work there.

Finalize the wire inlay and carving design for a Chambers Smooth Rifle build and get started.

Do the same for a Philadelphia Derringer rebuild. I just dug out a beautiful piece of quilted maple for it. Never worked with quilted before, I hear it can be "entertaining", keep a sharp tool.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Building plans for the New Year ?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 06:15:57 PM »
I’ve got photos of a very nice Deringer rifle; PM me if you’re interested.
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 08:47:56 PM »
  Going to finish two smoothbores one 36 cal and one 62. Plus two pistols. I'm way behind on those projects. They all have Ed Rayle barrels.
. Now to move my butt and get at it....lol

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 09:35:27 PM »
I have parts from TRS for a Brown Bess “Carbine” that I plan to get stocked. It apparently is a mix- match of items so it may become a ‘Franken-Bess’.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 10:49:35 PM »
Currently working on a TRS kit of the M1814 common rifle. Currently drilling the lockplate.
Psalms 144

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 10:59:18 PM »
Have a pair of 62 cal Hawken perc pistols that have been languishing. Need to get the breeches and standing breeches done. Barrel channels are done. Have 3 stocks with barrel channels. Thank to a friend 1/2 stock Hawken and two I plan to make into Armstrongs. Time will tell.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 11:59:49 PM »
I've got a Mark Silver Virginia kit I've been pecking away on. Then two 8 bore clubbutt turkey guns. Then I think I'll get drunk for the rest of the year.. :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 03:25:43 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH 8 bore - prohibited here, unless being flinter(non firearm) exonerates it. Unlikely due to the non-firearms is only for licensing purposes.
Would LOVE to have an 8 bore. .835" YOWSER!!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jakob

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 05:03:30 AM »
Finish my Jaeger rifle! Hopefully before spring bear season.

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 05:38:04 AM »
Planning another JP Beck of course! And lots of sandcasting in the spring!

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 06:51:17 AM »
I will be finishing a 4 bore this year. Then probably a schuetzen rifle with a flintlock. Not too historically correct but I don't care. I like flintlocks better than percussion.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 07:05:40 AM »
Just started another JP Beck gun. This time a .54 cal smoothbore Fowler.
Tom C.

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 03:33:20 PM »
Finish my Albrecht then I have another Chambers PA Fowler kit I'm finishing for a friend, then a Kid gun for my son. After that I want to start another scratch build. I haven't decided but I want to do an early one with a brass patch box.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 03:45:43 PM »
Need to finish the Baker rifle kit donated to our club ( Fort Tassinong in NW Indiana) for our spring shoot prize. Then ??????………..I think a nice little .32 flinter in a Bedford style !  Haven’t had a little gun for a while.
Mike Mullins

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 04:00:45 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH 8 bore - prohibited here, unless being flinter(non firearm) exonerates it. Unlikely due to the non-firearms is only for licensing purposes.
Would LOVE to have an 8 bore. .835" YOWSER!!
I'm going to stamp 10 gauge at the breech
 That should take care of any problems.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2024, 06:20:40 PM »
 I have a Bill Kennedy pistol kit to build for a friend w/ sterling silver mounts.  I have a JJ Henry trade rifle in .54 cal. to build for myself and then maybe a pistol.

Offline PHolder

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2024, 07:42:15 PM »
I hope to finally build my first.  Thinking of a Kibler SMR .40 cal in Cherry. 

My dad used to flip antique guns in the 60's and we always talked about making plans to build a long rifle.  Its up to me now. 

Offline Spalding

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2024, 01:36:24 AM »
Started a .29 walnut hillbilly gun a couple weeks ago. Barrel’s almost in.
Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2024, 01:41:51 AM »
Cool beans man. I love hillbilly guns! 8)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2024, 02:11:29 AM »
My current build is a club butt turkey special. Then finally a Hudson Valley fowler. The trouble with an HVF is that you can’t often come by a 54” barrel and the early Dutch TRS lock was a big time investment to assemble. So there’s a lot of “I only get to do this once and it’s hard to decide which style to pursue!”

Then I have my sights set on a rifle build that is currently well above my skill level. The Musician’s rifle. I’m confident in construction of the patch box and overall build. I will engrave at least 3 practice patch box lids before going for the real thing. I’m thinking to use my Charles Burton .62 caliber, 37.5” special order swamped barrel that is 1.25” at the breech. And a TRS flat-faced Dutch lock mostly assembled   I “just” have to add a fly.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2024, 07:19:29 PM »
I have a half built pistol to finish this winter before I start on a new rifle. I am leaning towards a JP Beck style rifle. I like the whale tail patch box and that carving and engraving are both features of Beck rifles . I enjoy doing both . I haven't started a rifle build in several years so will need to retrain myself a bit .

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2024, 07:16:08 AM »
   I been trying to work on a Hawken for my son but other things keep popping up. Now I just took a order for a pistol with birdseye maple stock. All steel hardware with Rice barrel and late Ketland lock, never used that lock on a pistol before, it may look good.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2024, 06:32:52 PM »
First up for me is a workbench against the wall  and maybe a free standing version also. After that I'll finish up my .25 caliber Soddy Daisy project. I've taken my first year off in retirement to decide if I'll continue building or not. Turns out to be a resounding yep!  ;)
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2024, 09:17:19 PM »
Have an SMR with Chambers late Ketland flint, FCI .40 BARREL, & Buck Creek triggers with Dillion hardware. Partially curly ash stock. Mostly inlet now, just need to get the furniture on & start shaping.

Half stock really curly ash SMR with Moody .40 barrel. Buck Creek triggers. Also Dillion furniture & lock to be decided.

J&S Hawken half stock. Parts gathered over years. "Aged" with a faux wrist repair & tacks.
Maybe a little too ambitious for me.
Roger B.

Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline bptactical

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2024, 09:35:12 PM »
I have come to the realization that while I am a very accomplished metalworker and Gunsmith I despise wood work and I do not have the artistic skill and eye for the correct interpretation to be able to build a good rifle.
Add to the fact that my platform of choice are the Hawken style heavy caliber half stock’s there is no way I can build from a slab.
I have collected all of the components for an upper end rifle but I am going to commission a builder for it.

Cleaning and organizing my shop though would be a wise choice and I do have an unbuilt Sharon Trade rifle kit I will likely dig into.
That I can handle. :P
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal