Author Topic: Building plans for the New Year ?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Building plans for the New Year ?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2024, 10:30:09 PM »
You might be amazed at what you can do on a Hawken. I'm a wood & steel butcher first class & I can build a passable Hawken halfstock. If you want to commission a build, I highly recommend Black Hart. He has built two very nice rifles for me, one of which is my presentation Hawken which is featured on his website. I'll bet that you could do a Hawken Shop kit, which is a quality item in all respects. Bob Browner is another good builder, though he only uses his own parts.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2024, 11:13:20 PM »
 Finish something...probably will say the same thing in "25.

Tim

Offline stan57

• Starting Member
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2024, 09:27:18 PM »
My plan this year is to try to improve some of my accuracy issues caused by aging eyesight. I still do pretty well with modern military rifles, so I put put a similar ghost peep on the test mule to see if it helps:

If the weather improves might take it to the range tomorrow.

Offline Preacher Dave

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2024, 10:56:18 PM »
I picked up a French Tulle Trade Gun kit from Clay Smith last year that I plan on completing this year. I haven't decided if I will hang on to this one or turn it over. I'm in no hurry to finish it as other things seem to continue to crop up to use my workbench space. Looks like by the end of January I will be starting again.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2024, 02:22:47 AM »
    Well this is my new project. Why at 72 only the wife knows. It's a prefabricated barn or as some say. Some assembly required.

free image hosting

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 02:26:11 AM by oldtravler61 »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2024, 03:15:28 PM »
    Well this is my new project. Why at 72 only the wife knows. It's a prefabricated barn or as some say. Some assembly required.

free image hosting

Mike,
I have tackled doing the same thing combination storage barn and hunting/ loafing cabin Finishing up insulation then putting the paneling up. Used to be a weekend amout of work but at 80+ yrs and working off and on as I feel up to it, I hope to have it finished in another month!
Hope to see you Thursday.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2024, 04:17:48 PM »
Kevin mentioned a Bill Kennedy kit. I got one of those too I would like to finish. Recept in the box shows I purchased it back in 1998. I believe at Dixons Gun Fair. Can't get in a big hurry on these things you know. Bill has been gone a number of years now. Georgian with Chambers lock.

Thank you
Jeff

Offline Habu

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2024, 08:03:19 PM »
The only project I have planned for this year is getting the new shop up and running.  The building has good bones, but will take some work to suit me.  I might mess around and build a pistol: something I can easily and safely tuck away in the bench drawer while construction is going on or things are being re-arranged. 

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2024, 08:03:44 PM »
I have a club Butt fowling piece I want to finish and a .50 cal swamped barrel inlet into a stock that I'm debating what to do with.  If I could complete two guns this year, I'd probably happy dance. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline CooleyS

• S.W. Cooley
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2024, 08:57:06 PM »
I've got a J&S Hawken on the bench and then I'll be starting to build a bench copy of a rifle that's been in my family since the 1830's when it was purchased in St. Louis on their way to what is now Iowa. Charles Burton is making the barrel, I managed to get my hands on a straight hook breech blank (not shaped) and then Matt Fout found a piece of quarter sawn red maple that matches the original stock pretty darn well. I'm really excited for this one! That should keep me occupied for 2024...

Offline paulitus

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2024, 09:52:02 PM »
Starting another Hudson Valley Fowler (my last effort is for sale on this site) Have a barrel from Ed Rayl, 12 bore, 50 inches long, 1.375 diameter at the breech. I ordered this barrel round, and will make tapering flats, fading out at about fourteen inches.
I have not been happy with any of the offerings of thimbles, none are really right for this style gun. Am making my own balustered thimbles, with both the front one and the rear tapering a bit, per the originals.
In other words, I am engaged in endless filing!

Have a great year, all!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 10:37:34 PM by paulitus »

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2024, 09:33:35 AM »
My plan this year is to try to improve some of my accuracy issues caused by aging eyesight. I still do pretty well with modern military rifles, so I put put a similar ghost peep on the test mule to see if it helps:

If the weather improves might take it to the range tomorrow.

Did you have a go yet ?
I have a CVA squirrel rifle that I hate the rear sight on, constantly getting loose. If your idea works I'm in !

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2024, 05:27:21 PM »
Feeling with the passing of Hershel, I would like to do another Woodbury  rifle, in remembrance of him.
Squirrel rifle.
Need to find an old barrel though.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2024, 05:59:31 PM »
Working on a Leman flint rifle now. Waiting on a 38 cal barrel for a SMR flint, and that’ll be the last one says my wife….

Offline recurve

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2024, 07:04:10 PM »
build another shimmel / or simple beck (no  nose cap very limited butt plate )

upload pic