Author Topic: January 2024 Postal Match  (Read 3076 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: January 2024 Postal Match
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2024, 11:00:29 PM »
PK:  that is indeed excellent shooting, especially since it was with a smoothbore and offhand to boot!!  I score your targets 50 1X (almost 2X!). Congratulations on a fine target.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2024, 12:42:59 AM »
Thank you sir. It was one of those days when everything came together. I went out the next day and shot just fair at 25 and 50 yds so it certainly doesn’t happen all the time. Fun target to shoot at.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2024, 12:44:49 AM »
Well the ice and snow have all gone away. Replaced by mid-50's weather and rain every day. Today we got a 1 day reprieve so I went out and shot the match. I used my 40 caliber SMR that Jim Kibler made for me several years ago. I shot from a bench with no support other than shoulder, hands and elbows. This is the only rifle I own that I have developed two loads for 45 grains of 3F for close in targets and 60 grains of 3F for hunting and longer shooting. I used a .395 ball with a .015 ticking patch with spit for lube and the 45 grain load. This by far the most accurate rifle I own.
I score it as a 50 2X the same as the 1 other target posted. I will let this months moderator decide whose ball holes are the winning ones. Here's to hoping winter has passed us by for the rest of the year.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 02:30:35 AM »
Nice shooting Mike!  I confirm your score as 50 2X which is an X more than PK's smoothbore target.  So your target so far is in first place.  Lots of January left though....so everyone who has not participated, pls make every effort to show Mike how it's done.  Our weather here has finally come back up to around freezing mark, so we'll be getting out to the range in the very near future.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Horton

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2024, 04:35:50 AM »
Got to shoot over the weekend, first time getting out for the year here’s the targets.

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2024, 01:45:21 AM »
Horton:  45 1X.  Thanks for submitting your targets.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2024, 05:57:10 AM »
I feel shootable weather approaching. I plan on using my .36 on that rouge rhino. He cannot stand up to it's most impressive POWER!(at least the paper one won't)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Moleman

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2024, 01:22:03 AM »
Printed my targets and tomorrow looks like a dry day to get the smoothie out and try to tame the rhino.
Nice shooting everyone.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2024, 06:21:20 AM »
Went to the range today. Elbows rested on the bench. 54 Kibler Colonial 66 gr FFF Swiss. I think its shooting a little to the right.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2024, 09:08:06 PM »
Shot this morning, 27 degrees F, foggy, no wind. Used my .45 with .440 RB, 70 gr FFFg, .018 patch with Hoppes lube. shot standing with front hand resting against post while holding gun. Target at left was shot as a warm up, 7 shots, two tight clusters of 3 and one flier. For the rhinos, I added an arrow to show the hit.

• Member 3
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2024, 11:30:43 PM »
Dan:  I score your set as a 50 2X which ties you with Muskrat MIke.  I'll have to re-examine both sets to determine which is in the lead...nice shooting.
Foresterdj:  I score your set as a 50. 

Daryl and I are going to give it a go tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks to all who have participated.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Moleman

• Starting Member
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2024, 12:43:50 AM »
I got out and done my shots today. 1st shot was a hangfire.....but things improved.
.62 cal. English Fowler smoothie 70 grains 2F lightly lubed tow over powder and over .610 ball. Elbow rest.
35 and 0 X's if I'm correct.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2024, 02:26:27 AM »
Dan:  I score your set as a 50 2X which ties you with Muskrat MIke.  I'll have to re-examine both sets to determine which is in the lead...nice shooting.
Foresterdj:  I score your set as a 50. 

Daryl and I are going to give it a go tomorrow afternoon.  Thanks to all who have participated.

In playing around with the targets last night I measured the bullet holes and even thought fired against a new hard backer they except #1 measure 1/2” to the leaded edge. #1 is a little over but not near .032”.  Given they were .535s I found this interesting. One would think that striking a 1/2 chip board, dunno its true name, that the balls would cut a bigger hole in the paper. I have my sky screen chrono and will chrono this thing the next time out with the 66 grain load which seems to be surprisingly “snappy”. Maybe the paper “gives” a little and springs back???  The has nothing like a sharp shoulder on some elongated things do.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2024, 05:37:17 AM »
Same thing with jacketed bullets, leaving a smaller hole than the bullet's diameter. This seems to happen, no matter the backer or no backer.
Thus, when measuring a group that is a single hole with the outside to outside measurement, then subtracting to get the centre to centre measurement, I usually
subtract the actual diameter my ball/bullet makes in that same paper, same backer, that same day - just to be accurate. 8) This is sometimes as much as .010" under
the ball or bullet's actual size.
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2024, 02:31:09 AM »
WE got out after lunch today. Deep snow, but the Ford 4 x 4's prevailed.
.350 ball
10 ounce denim patch
spit lube
40gr. 3F Old Enysford
elbow rest
25 yards.

Daryl

• Member 3
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2024, 10:16:09 PM »
Daryl:  50 2X - tied for score with Muskrat and Dan...will have to compare targets to find a tie breaker.  Nice shooting.

I shot mine with my Joseph Lang 16 bore:  86 gr. FFg GOEX, .650"pure lead ball from Tanner mould, .021" denim pre-cut patches and Ballistol/water lube @ 1:10.  I used a budd again as my rifle shoots about four inches high at 25 yards, elbow rest on table, seated.  But the budd was a little smaller than the one I used last month, and was consequently a little more difficult to see sharply...next time!

I score my targets 50 1X though I am not contending in this match since I am sponsoring and judging.  I'm out of contention anyway.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2024, 10:26:40 PM »
After studying all of the targets submitted by Muskrat Mike, Dan and Daryl, who tied for score, I declare that Mike is leading with two X's completely inside the dot while Daryl had only one inside and Dan had none inside.
So, so far, Mike leads the match...but I haven't heard the FL sing yet!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline okawbow

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2024, 01:05:14 AM »
Got my York long barreled .54 flintlock out and my first shot was the deer load I left in it since deer season. Went off fine, and I hit near the dot. From then on, however, I got a flash in the pan or two before every shot. I had to pick the vent every time and sometimes even that didn’t work. This rifle has always been my dependable, go-to deer rifle and never failed to go off before. When it finally did fire, it hang fired every time. I think it may have had crud built up in the breech. Any way; I was barely able to keep my shots in the ring.

As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2024, 02:26:09 AM »
Last day so I bit the bullet and snow shoed out back. The snow has been deep and wet, so not exactly a stroll in the woods.  Caught my breath and fired 5 shots with the Kibler W.R. .54   25 yards, off hand but body braced against a tree.
80 gr FFg, .535 ball .018 patch lubed with bear oil.  Looks like 10's with some X's to me but one shot went wild !   It seems I'm blowing patches, so I'm going to have some work to do

Offline Daryl

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2024, 09:18:37 PM »
Good shooting Bob. Too bad about the leg (5) hit. I've seen patches like that on the rifle trails at Hefley Rendezvous.
Daryl

• Member 3
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2024, 10:11:13 PM »
Bob:  I score your targets 45 3X...too bad about the flyer.  Just for the record, no where did I say that you could only shoot five targets, only submit five for score.
So January's winner is Muskrat Mike McGuire!  Congratulations Mike.  Your turn again, for February.

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia