Author Topic: 2 piece early Hawken butt plate  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Dave B

2 piece early Hawken butt plate
« on: January 07, 2024, 11:45:19 PM »
I had picked up some Hawken parts a while back and want to make a two piece  early style butt plate. Having been to the Gloreitta Museum in NM and seeing so many early rifles the choices avalible for early Hawen butt plates are hard to come by. Having taken some detailed photos of an original i have started to make a loose copy of an early J&S Hawken 2
 piece butt plate. I made patterns from shim stock cut out .60 mild steel to be cold formed into what you see here.

One of the details i found in looking at the orininals is the apex of the curve on most of the 2 pc plates is tending to be more centerd in the crecent. The later cast plates have a higer apex toward the return. If you put a square on the return the 90 will mark almost the end of the toe within 1/4 " or right at the end of the toe.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: 2 piece early Hawken butt plate
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 12:10:34 AM »
That looks good. An original I saw disassembled had a rivet just visible connecting return and “shoe”.  Lots of braze on the inside at the joint.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 01:18:36 AM »
This is the only shot I have of a J & S Hawken 2 piece butt plate rivet. I have seen others but did not take a picture regretfully. This rivet is a lot closer to the end of the  joint than the others I have seen being 1/4"-3/16" back from the end of the heel.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline CooleyS

• S.W. Cooley
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 04:31:21 PM »
These pictures are from an unmarked plains rifle that was made in St. Louis in the 1830’s. The shape and measurements are an exact match for the old J&S plans I have. The visible peened head of the rivet is large and the seam is brass brazed. I’m happy to provide any measurements you need.
-Steve

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 05:10:54 PM »
The rivet may or may not show after brazing most do. If the hole is counter sunk and the rivet well peaned it be very hard to see. I have not made a lot of Hawkens but I have never used a cast “Hawken” buttplate. I made one from the illustrations in Baird’s book in my late teens and never looked back. I cold bend the comb piece and hot form the rest finding that using a large round bar or the horn of an anvil to “crown” this piece will pretty well form the crescent shape at the same time. If when the large piece is cut out if one leaves a “handle” at the toe can make this process easier. 
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 08:16:05 PM »
Steve thank you for the pictures. Yes i woud be inerested in your measurments of this butt plate.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 02:29:31 AM »
Interesting thickness of that butt plate. Appears the Hawken original may be thinner than current reproduction butt plates.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 04:01:10 AM »
Interesting thickness of that butt plate. Appears the Hawken original may be thinner than current reproduction butt plates.
I think the later Sam Hawken buttplates were cast and heavier by far compared to earlier J&S Hawken buttplates. The one J&S buttplate was very thin. And the inlet was flat.  The wood underneath was not domed to support the wood where the screws were mounted.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 04:26:35 AM »
The later buttplates were cast. It pretty apparent I suspect that this took place some time after the mid-1840s but????
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline CooleyS

• S.W. Cooley
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 07:42:35 AM »
Steve thank you for the pictures. Yes i woud be inerested in your measurments of this butt plate.

I’ll get those measurements tomorrow (hopefully)…if you have access to the old J&S plans then you can see that the buttplate on our family rifle is very close to the buttplate in those plans.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 08:32:33 PM by CooleyS »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 05:47:14 AM »
I finally got a rivet that would work to pean out. What a pain in the neck getting the two halves to stay lighed up while peaning the rivet heads. I fially got them holding just have to braze them up.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 10:16:28 PM »
I made this rifle back in 1968 and hammered out the two steel pieces and then riveted them together then brazed them.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 04:05:13 AM »
Nice job. I like your cresant shape matche what the early butt plates had with deepest part being centered in the butt stock.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2024, 06:48:25 PM »
All brazed up

Dave Blaisdell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 07:41:08 PM »
Looking good!
Andover, Vermont

Offline helwood

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2024, 02:38:31 AM »
Greetings Dave,
I really like the extra effort you have gone to do it the 'ol way and for sharing it with all of us.  Most Excellent.
                        Thanks, Hank

Offline Matt Evans

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2024, 09:36:05 PM »
Nice job! Thanks for posting, very informative.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2024, 09:43:20 PM »
Great looking butt plate Dave B.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2024, 08:36:44 AM »
Thanks guys. The first one i made back in 2006 was for my first try at a early full stock Hawken. After spending time at Cody, Glorietta and Musem of the fur trade i knew a whole bunch more how things should look. The longer i do this the more i find i dont know enough. I love the journey though.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2024, 04:26:40 PM »
What were the old ones brazed with? Copper?
Thanks,
T Albert
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Dave B

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2024, 09:33:39 PM »
T Albert, I can only speak to what I have seen so far with the originals that I have held or closly examined to date have been brass brazed. I think it was the late Jerry Huddleston that had told me about having seen some gunhardware or butt plates that were brazed with copper but can not rember the specifics now.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2024, 09:49:37 PM »
The one I saw off the gun was a J&S Hawken buttplate with brass in a lump inside the joint at the rivet; inner surface of the joint. The joint was so nicely done that without aggressive cleaning it would be hard to tell from the outside.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dave B

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2024, 12:01:19 AM »
Here is my second attempt at a 2 piece butt plate using the Family St Louis rifles example shared  earlier in this thread. The riveting required some gymnastics to get it secured. Note the angle of the rivet through the return being at almost 20 degrees. It was a pain to get the rivet secure with out malalignment of the two parts. I left the plate a little wide for that reason. I will be brazing it next.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2024, 03:15:50 AM »
Dont tell anyone but the two times ive wanted a forged/brazed/riveted hawken butt plate I forged the two pieces, tack welded them then brazed and riveted. Herschel made it look so easy but Im no Herschel. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2024, 05:16:51 PM »
That makes me laugh. I was thinking that very thought tryin to keep the two pieces aligned while that rivet was being peaned down and they kept getting out of alignment. I finaly got them close enough that i could braze them.
Dave Blaisdell