Author Topic: NE 40 Fowler/Musket Question  (Read 1237 times)

Offline silky

NE 40 Fowler/Musket Question
« on: January 09, 2024, 03:27:01 AM »
This is in regards to NE 40 by the Hills in Grinslade's "Flintlock Fowlers"...

He calls it a "full-sized fowler" and says "...bayonet made this fowler into a semi-military weapon."  Semantics aside, would the experts among you agree this was likely a purpose-built musket for military use?  To my eye, everything about it says so: metal ramrod, swivels, robust stock architecture, Bess sideplate, trigger guard, etc.  He mentions three of the nine shown are probably similar to what was built for the militia, but not which one specifically.

I get it, there was lots of multiple-use in guns in that time and region, but I'm building my own militia gun and trying to draw inspiration from examples that were built from the start for that purpose.  Would I be wrong to look for that in NE 40?

Thanks!

- Tom

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: NE 40 Fowler/Musket Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 03:57:10 AM »
Yes, I’d say so. Of course some guns were purpose built for one use or another using a mix of new and recycled parts. Others were a re-stock of a broken gun. Because this one has a mix of parts it does look like a new build for military purposes.
Andover, Vermont

Offline silky

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 07:43:29 PM »
Perfect -- thanks!  I think the pewter nose cap is kinda interesting, too.

- Tom

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 04:28:14 AM »
What time period militia musket are you planning on?
Psalms 144

Offline silky

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 04:57:26 AM »
What time period militia musket are you planning on?

1770's -- built in anticipation of, or during, the Revolution.

Offline E.Boyd

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 01:16:39 AM »
Many were built / converted with odd parts. Make do with salvage parts. Check out Flintlock Fowlers by Tom Grimslade..

Offline JasonR

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 06:52:11 AM »
Are you brazing a bayonet lug? Would like to see that in process I've got a cherry blank and barrel ready for my NEF but will need guidance if I try the spear pole option

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 09:14:08 AM »
Silky, if that fowler was a purpose built musket from recycled Bess parts, that side plate would place it beyond 1779 manufacture, unless its a modified long land pattern plate.
Psalms 144

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 03:44:40 PM »
Hi,
I am with Clark.  If that is a side plate from a British musket, it must be a pattern 1779 produced by John Pratt.  So the musket likely was made near the end of the revolution or after.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline silky

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 09:24:43 PM »
Clark and Dave,

Thanks for pointing that out!  While I'm not building a copy of that musket, I was actually looking specifically at that sideplate design as one I might use.  My intent is a musket more pre-war/early war, so that one is out.

I appreciate your help -- it has saved me from making a details mistake that I would regret every time I look at it.

- Tom

Offline silky

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 09:26:08 PM »
Are you brazing a bayonet lug? Would like to see that in process I've got a cherry blank and barrel ready for my NEF but will need guidance if I try the spear pole option

Yes, but I haven't gotten so far yet as to attack the details of doing it.  I think there are some step-by-step how-to's on this board.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 03:28:59 PM »
Hi,
For a full sized socket bayonet, the stud should be located 2 1/8" from the muzzle.  Make the stud with a slightly larger base such that it can be dovetailed into the barrel.  The dovetailing slot is very shallow.  Fit the lug in the dovetail and then braze or solder it in place.  I use low temperature silver bearing solder.  The socket of the bayonet should be fitted such that at least 1/8" of barrel protrudes at the front and the rear does not butt against the stock.   Give the socket at least 1/8-1/4" clearance from the end of the stock.  A properly fitted bayonet will not rattle or wobble and needs to be tapped up with the palm of your hand to loosen it for removal.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline silky

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 10:56:46 PM »
Hi,
For a full sized socket bayonet, the stud should be located 2 1/8" from the muzzle.  Make the stud with a slightly larger base such that it can be dovetailed into the barrel.  The dovetailing slot is very shallow.  Fit the lug in the dovetail and then braze or solder it in place.  I use low temperature silver bearing solder.  The socket of the bayonet should be fitted such that at least 1/8" of barrel protrudes at the front and the rear does not butt against the stock.   Give the socket at least 1/8-1/4" clearance from the end of the stock.  A properly fitted bayonet will not rattle or wobble and needs to be tapped up with the palm of your hand to loosen it for removal.

dave

This is so helpful -- thank you, Dave.  I'm sure I'll have some questions when I get to that point but this probably answered 90% of them already.

- Tom

Offline JasonR

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 08:16:46 AM »
Yes thanks Silky and Dave.