Author Topic: Properly Converting Percussion back to Flintlock?  (Read 850 times)

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
Properly Converting Percussion back to Flintlock?
« on: January 16, 2024, 05:35:15 PM »
Before you begin getting your "powder, patch and ball" aiming in my direction, hear me out!

I acquired an Original Swiss Jaeger .70cal from a knowledgeable collector and he thinks it could be converted back to original easily (by a qualified gunsmith) and keeping the current sideplate. I want it to be like it was when it was born. The rest of the rifle is in perfect condition.

I have seen a few "butchered" and IF mine cannot be converted back as it was, I WILL leave it as it is!

I have reached out to Ron Scott, Oregon as he could be that guy. But not have heard back as to timeline.
https://ronaldscottflintlock.com/RonScott/Welcome.html

I ask your help with other QUALIFIED gunsmith who could be do this. As I am in love with my rifle and will not be parted from it for years. Someone GOOD and TIMELY.

The only change has been done is to have a Treso nipple for safety. I have the "old" nipple, in my safe.

People either survive in the Jungle, or exist in the Zoo. Few recognize the significance of the paradoxical reconciliation of the two. It takes a rare individual who understands how cunning and aggressive one has to be to acquire an Estate in the Jungle.

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Properly Converting Percussion back to Flintlock?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 05:50:32 PM »
Bill,
So as not to confuse your question here, would you consider putting this rifle up in the antique section so we can ask questions and add comments?

It has some interesting stuff going on, and would like to ask questions and see close ups of both the lock and sideplate side.

I won't ask here though, and muddy the waters!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 07:21:36 PM »
 This is a beautiful example of a well made gun transitioning from the flint era, to the percussion era. The work appears to be by the hand of a competent gunsmith. I would not reconvert it, and ignore a part of its true history.

Hungry Horse

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 10:25:09 PM »
Bill,
So as not to confuse your question here, would you consider putting this rifle up in the antique section so we can ask questions and add comments?

It has some interesting stuff going on, and would like to ask questions and see close ups of both the lock and sideplate side.

I won't ask here though, and muddy the waters!

I will post in the antique session. Thanks!
People either survive in the Jungle, or exist in the Zoo. Few recognize the significance of the paradoxical reconciliation of the two. It takes a rare individual who understands how cunning and aggressive one has to be to acquire an Estate in the Jungle.

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 10:34:36 PM »
This is a beautiful example of a well made gun transitioning from the flint era, to the percussion era. The work appears to be by the hand of a competent gunsmith. I would not reconvert it, and ignore a part of its true history.

Hungry Horse

Please help me understand. It was born a flintlock. It was converted to percussion. It would seem to be appropriate to restore it to it's original state. Why not, if it can be perfectly preserved, as it was born?

But help me here.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 02:54:55 AM »
 Well I guess the big reason for not liking reconversions is besides the totally ignoring the real history part, many reconversions are done strictly for monetary gain, which I feel is disingenuous.

Hungry Horse

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 06:08:58 AM »
To me, I have no interest in monetary gain on this rifle. I will never, ever, sell it. I invest in real estate or invest in people, but not investing in guns.

Maybe it took a vacation as percussion, but it's true nature - it's purity - was born a flintlock. I think the gun would like that. I somehow sense it is almost a living being. When I hold it, it feels like it is weightless and a part of me. We like each other. It points where I look.

It is a .70 Cal, Original Swiss Jaeger. I want it back to "Original."

But HH, I appreciate your input.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 04:30:02 PM »
My opinion is that it never was a flintlock.
Bob Roller

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 04:42:16 PM »
My opinion is that it never was a flintlock.
Bob Roller

I'm inclined to agree.

Offline Goo

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 04:48:03 PM »
I put a jaeger back together last year.   I had to make the missing parts the breech plug was very difficult it had a tapered thread on the plug.  I had to hire out the threaded portion of the breech plug , in other words i had a solid piece of two inch round stock with threaded tip then machine and carve the rest of it.  I wouldn't touch another one of these for less than a boatload of money.   Telling you its " easy for a Qualified Gunsmith" is a in my opinion a red flag the size of your home state.
 Unless you can prove beyond a doubt it is an early gun and worth a boat load of money I would agree with Bob Roller it was a percussion gun all along.   
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 04:51:20 PM by Goo »
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 04:53:20 PM »
A TAPERED thread on a breech plug? Sounds like pipe thread but on an antique who knows what was done to it even after
it was used for a while.
Bob Roller

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 04:58:11 PM »
I think we need to see a close-up pic of the lock.  I may be missing something, but cannot see any conclusive evidence of it having originally being a flintlock.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 05:05:55 PM »
OK - this cross posting on two forums is getting really confusing. I suggest this one be locked.

Looking at the close-up of the lock on the other forum, I do see pretty clear evidence the lock was likely originally flint.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 08:11:14 PM »

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 08:14:43 PM »
I am seeing evidence of a flint cock in the wood moulding above the lock recess, the cutout and ding that comes from that sort of cock, not the percussion hammer presently on the rifle. Just my opinion.

Offline Goo

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 04:12:05 PM »
A TAPERED thread on a breech plug? Sounds like pipe thread but on an antique who knows what was done to it even after
it was used for a while.
Bob Roller
Yep that`s correct, and you lived long enough to hear about secret techniques lost to history.  We were all surprised by this it was marked Heidenheim, Ketner. I posted pics on the forum looking for a lock. original barrel original threads
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2024, 04:28:46 PM »
Kind of like a pipe thread?

Offline Marplot

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2024, 05:11:55 PM »
OK - this cross posting on two forums is getting really confusing. I suggest this one be locked.

Looking at the close-up of the lock on the other forum, I do see pretty clear evidence the lock was likely originally flint.

I suggest this be locked. I have a lot more information and pictures on my other post.