Author Topic: Trigger guard advice  (Read 530 times)

Offline J Shingler

Trigger guard advice
« on: January 18, 2024, 09:25:26 PM »
Hello guys looking for some trigger guard advice. I have not built this styler rifle before. More Golden Age. I am thinking about 1800 so a bit later than my norm. I have a bonawitz buttplate 1 9/16 wide and just over 5" tall and am trying to locate an appropriate   trigger guard to go with it. The lock I will be using is the one Mike Miller designed and sold by LC Rice. I know some don't like the style of this lock, but is what I have and will be using. I will probably go with a double set trigger but single is not out of the question. So got a favorite later period trigger guard you like?
Jeff

Thank you
Jeff

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Trigger guard advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 11:30:36 PM »
Guards can be very region-specific until a least 1830s in some areas. Did you have an architecture decided for this build?
Andover, Vermont

Offline ScottH

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 12:16:07 AM »
Mike Brooks lists over 30 different trigger guards for guns, not including fowlers.
I would try him.

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 02:53:35 AM »
Guards can be very region-specific until a least 1830s in some areas. Did you have an architecture decided for this build?
Rich, Thank you for your time . Basically here is what I have. A good friend passed away and the widow gave me a 42" B weight 40 cal barrel. Inletted into an average pc of curly maple. This buttplate and I have the later period lock I got from Rice at Sprring Friendship. So now I am trying to figure out what I can make out of it. With the Muzzleloader Builder Supply showing this exact butplate as a Golden Age. The Lock I have for this build is 1800's And there you go. I am looking to come up with something reasonable to build. Kind of out of my element with this one. So open to some ideas. I will make the rest of the hardware. So need a trigger guard . Open to suggestions.
Thanks
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 03:38:29 AM »
If you can share the architecture of the stock, we could make a guess as to what’s appropriate. Otherwise a later Lancaster guard would be my first choice.
Andover, Vermont

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 05:15:31 AM »
It is a profiled plank at this point.
But this is what I have to work with.
In these two pictures it is the bandsaw blank. The other one is in process so the bandsaw blank is next in line. As it has been bandsawed so you are correct I may be limited.
Jeff

Thank you
Jeff

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 06:16:28 AM »
Couldn’t go wrong with a late Lancaster. https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30035.0

This one has a nice view of the underside of a late Lancaster guard. https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3433.0
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 06:26:25 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont