Author Topic: Canisters for deep pack case hardening  (Read 464 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Canisters for deep pack case hardening
« on: January 20, 2024, 12:23:23 AM »
My neighbor welded these 2 canisters up for me for deep pack case hardening. One regular and one jumbo. The pins and coffin lids will help fit and hold the lids on to n the forge. The loops will help in positioning and dumping.

Andover, Vermont

Online Carl Young

Re: Canisters for deep pack case hardening
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 01:29:41 AM »
Neat Rich, I used to use heavy duty quart molasses cans, but this is a much better solution. Will have to copy yours when I get my shop set up again.

Thanks!
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Gtrubicon

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 06:25:56 AM »
I would love to know this process, how you will use them?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 06:53:00 AM »
I would love to know this process, how you will use them?

I will surface harden mild steel parts and give frizzens more carbon by packing parts in charcoal, surrounded on all sides and closing the box and heating in the forge till bright red. I’ll keep it going for about 45 minutes. I include mild steel tie wire that’s 1/16” thick as well. From the forge the box is taken to a bucket full of water and the lid removed and the contents dumped in. Great care for safety is needed. If all goes well the parts will be hard as glass on the surface. The tie wire which is normally very flexible will snap when bent in the hands, indicating it’s been hardened deeply. That’s my test for success. Parts are then tempered as needed.

It takes a deep fire and plenty of coal. I don’t try for glorious case colors but often get some blues in the process.

Lock parts can be made of mild steel and when case hardened this way, work beautifully without wear.

I’ve used thinner boxes before but they don’t last many uses.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Gtrubicon

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 12:21:51 PM »
That’s interesting, thank you for the explanation.