Author Topic: Putting scales on a patch knife  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Putting scales on a patch knife
« on: January 22, 2024, 09:49:11 AM »
Revising an old craftsman knife blade for a patch knife.  I want to put elk scales on the handle and have some mosaic pin stock given by a friend.  I don't have any experience with using mosaic pins.  The question pertains to how do the pins keep the scales compressed against the tang?  Is it all dependent on epoxy or is there a way to rivet the pins? 

Online snapper

Re: Putting scales on a patch knife
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 05:09:17 PM »
I have done several knifes with scales starting about 25 years ago.   To my knowledge not one of them has come apart.

What I do is make sure that the knife is clean.   Use rubbing alcohol to clean it. 

For knife making I use 2-ton epoxy.   Simply get everything fitted up and clamp everything together.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 09:57:21 PM »
The mosaic pins are for decoration only they are not peen only epoxied in place. You would rivet the scales on and use epoxy to secure the scales to the steel. Since you want to use mosaic pins then you could also use Corby Bolts to secure the scales since the mosaic pins are not HC.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 12:10:11 AM »
 Never heard of them, had to look them up:

https://www.makermaterialsupply.com/collections/mosaic-pins-and-tubes/

Tim C.

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 06:06:54 AM »
Hi Jerry. The pins are to keep the scales from sliding on the tang, thus breaking the epoxy, allowing the scale to fall off.  Use marine epoxy and clamp the handles in a wood faced vise for 24 hours. Spread some plastic because the vice will squeeze out some epoxy.

Online snapper

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 06:28:42 AM »
I use my wood shop bench vices as well, depending on if the knife.   I also use paper towels on my blanks to keep the excess epoxy from getting on the vice and floor.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline jbigley

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 06:13:22 PM »
Hi Jerry--If you're going to use epoxy, be sure to drill a few "divot" holes into both the inside of scales and the tang of the knife. Instead of divots in the tang, you could just drill some extra holes all the way through--not too big, 1/8 to 3/16  or thereabouts is way large enough. The divots in the scales and holes in the tang give the glue a place to go and "grip onto,"  (besides dripping out from between the tang and the scales while it cures), and make a kind of "glue rivet." A couple of posters have stated that the pins hold the scales in place to prevent them sliding on the tang or just for decoration. The epoxy is what holds them to the knife. Don't try to fit the scales exactly to the shape of the tang before attaching them. Leave them a bit larger--not too much larger, though, just a bit. It is easier, and the results look better, if you attach them,  let the glue cure, then file or sand the scales to the shape of the tang. If you want to go "totally 18th C," omit the epoxy, but be prepared for the scales to separate from the tang after a bit of use. I have been making knives for more than 60 years, and this process has always worked well for me. I hope this explanation has been clear enough. If not, send me a PM, and I will try to clarify. --JB

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 06:35:13 PM »
The mosaic pins are for decoration only they are not peen only epoxied in place. You would rivet the scales on and use epoxy to secure the scales to the steel. Since you want to use mosaic pins then you could also use Corby Bolts to secure the scales since the mosaic pins are not HC.

I ran across a YouTube video where a knife maker was putting scales onto a knife he is making. He used mosaic pins as a guide for the scales and along with epoxy that was the only thing holding the scales to the knife. The pins were just a push fit no peening just epoxy. For me I don't think in the long run the epoxy alone would hold up - I could be wrong in saying this but I would like something more mechanical to secure the scales to the knife. ::) I have mosaic pins in the knife with the ivory like handle along with Corby bolts and pins as decoration. These handles will NEVER come off.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 06:45:21 PM by P.W.Berkuta »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline jbigley

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 08:09:01 AM »
P.W.--Those are some fine looking knives. Your work?--JB

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 09:51:42 AM »
P.W.--Those are some fine looking knives. Your work?--JB
Yes they are my work all made out of O-1 tool steel and harden & tempered in my propane forge. I've been making knives since the mid 60's. The Bowie is 16-1/2" total length & 1/4" thick.

upload img
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:57:42 AM by P.W.Berkuta »

Offline jbigley

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 05:18:58 PM »
Thanks! (Two thumbs up).--JB