Author Topic: DELUX SILER VS Late Ketland Flintlock  (Read 809 times)

Offline recurve

DELUX SILER VS Late Ketland Flintlock
« on: January 26, 2024, 07:29:47 PM »
 not building a historic rifle what lock is faster/ easier on flints or is Kiblers worth a look (all my flinters but one have silers grandson has a L&R replacement)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 07:34:57 PM by recurve »

Offline mgbruch

Re: DELUX SILER VS Late Ketland Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 07:47:51 PM »
The Chambers alate Ketland uses the same internal parts as their large Siler.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 07:53:18 PM »
Both are good. I have had real good luck with flint life with both and at my age the speed difference won,t matter.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 08:51:15 PM »
Two fastest locks I have used. Chambers early and late Ketlands.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 09:54:33 PM »
I'm with Mike on Chambers locks being FAST. The only other lock I've seen as fast or faster was an L&R Dickert lock. No changes to the lock
but it was FAST. Maybe I was just lucky. Taylor noted at one rendezvous, THAT lock is as fast as any "Chambers" I've had.
I will note, that Chambers locks have always impressed me. I have not paid attention to any others though, so cannot comment on Kibler's locks.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 10:59:23 PM »
Chambers are not only fast but dependable sparkers. The Deluxe Siler on my .54 cal Beck rifle is now 21 years old. I shoot with my club every month and with another club 3 or 4 times a year. That's about 320 shots a year and I can easily count the misfires on one hand. That's important because our primitive group counts a fall of the hammer (and no fire) as a missed shot. I can sometimes beat our best shooters because they had 2 or 3 clatches!
The Chambers Ketlands are awesome too!
Tom C.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 02:20:48 PM »
They are both great locks I almost always used the late Ketland since it's an English style lock and the most of the rifles I built required an English lock. When I did build a rifle that required a Germanic lock I used a Chambers Siler lock.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 05:38:20 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWo6-MvF8wU/?igsh=b3kyYTJiOGkxMnA4

The above link is to an instagram post I did in 2021. It is of a rifle I built using one of Jim Chambers Golden Age locks. Most of the locks being produced today are fast. You have to have it properly installed with a properly set up vent to get real speed.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 09:24:59 PM »
I have had great success with the Late Ketland lock, both for speed, reliability and ease on flints. Can't go wrong with either a Chambers or Kibler.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 09:27:56 PM »
I’m of course biased, but for a step up, go with our late Ketland lock.  Our production techniques and design in my view result in a little better performance.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2024, 11:17:10 PM »
The last three rifles I’ve built all had late Ketlands, I’ve gone two Kibler and one Chambers.
Speed wise, I can’t tell a difference, and have had onlookers comment on how fast both locks are.
That being said, I have a slight preference for the Kibler, better finish, and I prefer the linked mainspring design.
In fact I have one on my bench now going in my current build shortly.
But it really comes down to Chevy or Ford, they’re both fine locks from highly respected manufacturers.
Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 12:45:52 AM »
I’m of course biased, but for a step up, go with our late Ketland lock.  Our production techniques and design in my view result in a little better performance.
You ought to send me a couple salesman samples so I can test them out. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 01:26:49 AM »
You ought to send me a couple salesman samples so I can test them out. ;)

Why bother. You’re retired remember???
Stop Marxism in America