Author Topic: Texas Patching.  (Read 1508 times)

Offline doulos

Texas Patching.
« on: January 27, 2024, 01:46:39 AM »
Just going through a cabinet and found something I actually forgot I had. Its a teflon patching material I bought from Tip Curtis’ Frontier shop when I visited Nashville a few about 10 years back. Ive only used a little of it. And dont remember the results.  But my question is this. Can that stuff leave any deposits in your barrel?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Texas Patching.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 01:53:53 AM »
From what I have read the answer is yes. They also said it is a bugger to remove the residue.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 02:12:27 AM »
I've used teflon patching for at least 15 years shooting benchrest we wipe after every shot
Bore is always clean and shiney never caused a problem. It takes 1 variable out of the equation

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 02:28:49 AM »
When I shot light bench , X six and chunk I used Teflon patch. Greatest stuff since corn flakes for tight groups. Had to wet patch between shots but cleaned up after the day great and never left any residue in my bores. I use bear oils\ denim for all my other guns.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 03:43:48 AM »
Just going through a cabinet and found something I actually forgot I had. Its a teflon patching material I bought from Tip Curtis’ Frontier shop when I visited Nashville a few about 10 years back. Ive only used a little of it. And dont remember the results.  But my question is this. Can that stuff leave any deposits in your barrel?

I was told my Jim McLemore that the barrel on my heavy rifle with 120 gr of FFF and a teflon patch would shoot the same hole at 100. Yes you have to wipe. But it and a couple of other lubes that require wiping work really well. Its apparently hard to find now.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 05:32:14 AM »
I guess I won't go looking for it, then. Have to put up with the Denim and ticking, I guess. Oh well. ;)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 03:36:45 PM »
At the beginning of this century when I was shooting buffalo matches at the Western Nationals, I used .020 Texas patching. In fact I used it in all my rifles. Unfortunately, the guy who made it died. His wife sold off the remining stock, along with Tip who had a bunch in stock.
Afterwards I tried the other Teflon patch products out there and I really did not like them.
Since then I found that I could get very decent accuracy with pocket drill, tight woven canvas, and denim lubed with bear oil or mink oil.
The only time I use Teflon patching now is when shooting the few chunk-gun matches that I shoot. The 1 and 1/8th inch atf  Douglas barrel on my chunk gun performs significantly better with Teflon patching. Yes you have to wipe between shots.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Tenmile

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 05:17:44 PM »
I have been using .020 teflon for many years. I think I got it from Wayne Lamson (?). It loads pretty tight. I use a loading tube and Ballistol water mix. I’ve not noticed any problem with residue. I have enough to last me to the end so I haven’t looked for a source. I was told many years ago to find a material that works well and buy a lifetime supply.
Lynn

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 12:28:35 AM »
Everyone who is talking about using this teflon patching, but not one of you note what sized ball you are using in what calibre barrel.
I have read that when using it in chunk shooting, it is used with an over sized ball, being up to .007" LARGER than the bore.
Someone who very closely resembles me, would like to know.
Daryl

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 12:47:46 AM »
I have two 50 cal heavy barrels different makers one shoots a .500 ball with .20 teflon the other shoots a .495 ball with .20 teflon also have 45 cal that shoots a .445 ball and the same .20 teflon
They shoot very good I run a patch thru after each shot and clean with dawn and water

Offline MJBush

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 02:05:08 AM »
I shoot a lot of Teflon, started about 30 years ago. I have shot Texas, Minuteman, and Arrowood. Like any other patching depends on the gun. One rifle has an Orion 50 cal barrel .495 Hornaday ball, .015 Minuteman,
I have two rifles with Green Mountain barrels, 50 cal,  .495 both Hornaday and cast I can use either one with .020 Texas or .019 Minuteman.
I have Douglas 45 that shoots Arrowood .021, .445 Hornaday. These are all target rifle. I do not use Teflon in my off hand rifles.
Michael

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 07:17:50 AM »
Thanks guys. That is interesting and the first time(s) I have heard chunk shooters using undersized balls.
As a test in Taylor's .50 Virginia rifle, we tried .508" balls with his normal .020" patching and they loaded just fine,
however he still uses the little .495" ball with that patch. The reason to try the larger ball, was that if he uses over
85gr. of 2F with the .495" ball, the patches get burn holes, so that patch is on the hair edge of being too thin.
Daryl

Offline hudson

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 09:57:24 PM »
I have used both Texas patching (blue) and Minuteman patching (green). Both give similar results I use a water/Ballistol mix mostly, for hunting coconut oil and can shoot all day without cleaning. With the coconut oil you can use too much. The Texas patching is water/Ballistol soluble with the Minuteman not so. I do prefer the Minuteman as the Texas has a tendency to wash out the Teflon with the water/Ballistol mix. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2024, 10:47:57 PM »
I have used both Texas patching (blue) and Minuteman patching (green). Both give similar results I use a water/Ballistol mix mostly, for hunting coconut oil and can shoot all day without cleaning. With the coconut oil you can use too much. The Texas patching is water/Ballistol soluble with the Minuteman not so. I do prefer the Minuteman as the Texas has a tendency to wash out the Teflon with the water/Ballistol mix.
Are you wetting the teflon patching with the water/balistol ?  :-\

Offline MJBush

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 11:16:08 PM »
I use water soluble oil, tide laundry detergent and distilled water. Oil and Tide 4 oz to the gallon. I lightly spray the non Teflon side. This is the recipe used by one of the best bench shooter anywhere, I can’t remember, but 20ish National records. I know we don’t talk about his rifles here, but still Teflon works, but you have to work at it too. Clean between shots and near bore size balls.
And yes, I shoot with him and against him for a lot of fun!
Michael

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2024, 05:41:31 AM »
So I'm thinking a Dan or Ken. If so I never watched them load but their scores were always at or near the top.

Offline MJBush

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 05:47:43 AM »
Dan learned this method from Ken. Both wet the Teflon side, I don’t. I don’t shoot my big guns anymore, but light bench we shoot very competitive with each other.
Michael

Offline hudson

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 06:09:03 PM »
A bit more information on my use of Teflon patching, my patches are soaked in 80/20 Water/Ballistol mix for a short time then squeezed out lightly. I only do enough for the day then put in a sealed container. For my .54 I use .020 patching with a .535 ball It loads tight but with not too much effort. The barrel is coned and a slight choke with 1 in 70 twist. The short started places the ball below the choke for easier loading. Powder charge Goex 2F 50 yards 65 gr. 100 and beyond 120 gr. At present I have switched to .020 army duct canvas (read cheaper) that stuff has such a tight weave I had to drop to a .530 ball. That is the only load I have found that equals the Teflon load.
https://www.bigduckcanvas.com/army-duck/10-10-oz-60-inches-wide/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 08:31:52 PM »
I'm not sure, as in I don't know what the Army Duck 10 ounce measures compressed, but 10 ounce denim runs .021" to .0225", but is softer than the .020" white canvas I have bought and used up here.
The canvas I bought looks identical to what you're shown and loads slightly 'harder' than the 10 ounce denim I am used to using. I use it with .495" balls in my .50. Once into the bore, shoving it down onto the powder is about identical.
Daryl