Author Topic: Sit down work bench ideas  (Read 855 times)

Offline Taylorz1

Sit down work bench ideas
« on: January 31, 2024, 02:51:50 AM »
]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 03:52:54 AM by Taylorz1 »

Offline dadybear1

Re: Sit down work bench ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 02:55:54 AM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 02:59:57 AM »
Sorry for the messed up pictures. I thought I straighten them out before I posted them. I am weighing this  against just building a really tall set up on a standard workbench that comes up to eye level on a standard bench. Im hoping to avoid messing with my current work benches as I do use them for other things. Id want to use  this station for close work ie inletting, checkering, engraving. Thank you

Offline Habu

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 03:42:48 AM »
One option might be a "sub-bench" that sits on one of your current benches, and raises the vise/work to the level you need.  When I was recovering from some neck problems I put together something similar that actually put the "top" of the sub-bench at an angle toward me, making it a bit easier to see what I was doing without tipping my head down. 

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 05:15:03 AM »
Taylor,
Look up “ https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=65992.msg663552;topicseen#msg663552” small workbench ideas and my 5two are included in the photos. If you have further questions you can always pm me with questions. I have benches of several different heights to accommodate whatever I need to do. My back gives me fits and I need to sit down to relieve it. My bench with the “Tee” tracks is the most versatile and solid. Good luck and prayers for your neck recovery.
elkhorne

Offline taterbug

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 06:01:28 PM »
i like that bench with the integral seat.  But I'd have to make the work platform about a foot higher, since I don't bend in the middle like I used to... ::)

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 06:40:00 PM »
The thread that Elkhorn brought up also shows the bench that I built and created plans for. These were sold as a fund raiser for this site. And are still available. I would expect with modifications might help you. BJH
BJH

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 06:43:01 PM »
Gunsmith George Killen did 99.9% of his work sitting down and stood only when he used a hacksaw.
Almost all of my shop work was done standing and barrel maker Bill Large also was a stander also.
Whatever your comfort level is then go for that and there is nothing wrong with modified benches.
About 4 years ago I started getting lower back problems,stenosis was what the doctor said so I then
decided to stop lock making.I enjoy not working and my wife has had some health issues that make
leaving her alone in the house a risky idea.She is now 81 and I am a few weeks away from 88.
Bob Roller 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 06:52:40 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Taylorz1

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2024, 06:46:11 PM »
Thanks very much to everyone for their thoughts and thanks very much for the links to the work benches. Lots to think about.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 09:03:49 PM »
Sit-down working is the method Yip (Terry) uses. :)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 05:36:45 AM »
I built this one years ago and I do all the inletting on it. I got the idea from Tip Curtis, he used them as finishing benches. I made mine more heavy duty and with bigger feet. It's light enough to move around to where I want it yet heavy enough it won't move while working.    Al

Alan K. Merrill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 07:59:45 PM »
Interesting....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?