Author Topic: Dauphin County Gunsmith Tobacco Grinder  (Read 641 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Dauphin County Gunsmith Tobacco Grinder
« on: February 02, 2024, 10:00:16 PM »
Tobacco grinder signed & attributed to David Glassbrener,1798-1872.  Dauphin County, Harrisburg PA Gunsmith.  Rare to find tools signed by gunsmiths. I don't have much info on Glassbrener, but I found a couple of photos of rifles he made online at old auctions.
PS. I am not 100 percent sure that these old grinders were only used for tobacco; I would think you could grind lots of stuff that needs to be cut or ground.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 11:29:34 PM by Avlrc »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Dauphin County Gunsmith Tobacco Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 12:29:36 AM »
Beat piece. I love seeing other things these guys made
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline A Scanlan

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 03:38:29 PM »
Saw a coffee grinder signed by one of the Sites family on an auction several years ago.  Super nice item and sold to a ton more than your average coffee grinder. Your grinder is a gem regardless of who made it.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 06:47:28 PM »
Here is a real nice rifle Glassbrener made.  Page 70 Lot #168

https://issuu.com/skinnerinc/docs/2724m_militaria

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 07:11:03 PM »
There is a coffee grinder signed buy Andreas Albrecht pictured in one of the Moravian Gunsmithing books, the first volume I believe. I liked it so much I started looking around for a mechanism to make one for myself, and ended up with an dilapidated antique that I have yet to rebuild properly...
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling