Author Topic: mule ear questions  (Read 392 times)

Offline tom coffey

• Starting Member
mule ear questions
« on: February 03, 2024, 07:37:30 AM »
I have read two statements that made me wonder. One is that mule ear locks sometimes had quarter lock positions. If so, why? Did they have quarter, half, and full cock positions? Did they have quarter cock positions instead of half cock? Did half cock positions cause the hammer(s) to stick out too far?
The other is there was no half cock position. Same question as above. Thanks.

Offline Daryl

Re: mule ear questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 10:10:54 AM »
I've never heard of 1/4 lock position, but that would likely relieve pressure on the capped nipple, but not let the cap fall off.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bnewberry

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 05:32:54 PM »
The sidelock I am working with has a 1/4 and 3/4 positions and I have also wondered why. My hypothesis is that the first click is the half cock, meant as the safe position when the cap is in place. The 3/4 position is a safety catch to catch the hammer if the sear is tripped without fully pulling the trigger.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 05:37:33 PM »
I have 2 mule ear locks, and both do not have a 1/2 cock position.  I use a piece of deer antler between the hammer and the lock plate for carrying the guns with a cap on the nipple.  When I pull the hammer back to full cock, the antler piece drops down on it's thong tied to the trigger guard.  The only mule ear lock I have seen that has a 1/2 cock is the old Navy Arms "Country Boy" rifles.