Author Topic: Where Did This "Patch" Knife Knife Come From?  (Read 835 times)

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Where Did This "Patch" Knife Knife Come From?
« on: February 05, 2024, 07:57:16 AM »
Years ago, I picked up a small knife to use as a patch knife, to fill out an old bag & horn set for display. It appears to have a burl wood handle, and the blade is hand-forged and well-used. Dimensions: blade = 3-3/4 inches, handle = 4-1/4 inches. The tip of the blade has been broken off. While it looks good as a patch knife, with its burl handle, it may not actually be one. Does anyone have any ideas about this knife, its age, where made, etc.? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Elnathan

Re: Where Did This "Patch" Knife Knife Come From?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 05:08:38 PM »
My initial thoughts is that it looks like a well-worn pukko/puukko from Scandinavia. The presence of a ricasso makes me think that it may not be older than the 19th century, I but I don't know all that much about Scandinavian knives, particularly those made post-AD1000...The barrelled handle shape, use of burl wood, blade shape, and the grind are all very puukko-ish, though.

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/37345-origin-of-the-modern-puukko/
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Rado

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 05:58:25 PM »
I would also say thats a Puukko. The wood is probably Alder burl. But without a makers mark, its all just guessing. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 07:04:55 PM by Rado »
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline art riser

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 01:51:11 AM »
Repurposed pocket knife blade.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 03:48:45 AM »
Home made Sloyd knife?
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Rado

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 11:00:30 AM »
Here is a blog with some very informative articles about all the different sorts of Puukko types.
If this is a Puukko it would be a so called "Maasepän Puukko". Its the most simple variation consisting basically of just the blade and a piece of wood.
https://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/1026/
But I still couldnt tell anything about this particular piece.
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 08:19:07 PM »
I appreciate all the responses. I'm pretty well convinced it's a Puukko based on its details, after looking at the attachments that were provided. It appears to have a pointed tang pushed back into the handle, very similar to one shown in the last attachment. Thanks again for the responses and information... but it's still going to be used as a small patch knife with a neat burled-wood handle... at least until I find a better one!

Shelby Gallien

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 07:19:48 PM »
Recently I found in one of our end tables in the living room, a really nice "knife" that would be a fine patch cutter.It is a folding type and locks open and is marked "One arm razor" and the blade looks like the old straight razors I saw in barber shops when I was a teenager.A local hardware store owner who has a big collection of knives said he had never seen one like this.It was given to me by a local police officer who had taken it from a drunk who was threatening people in a local grocery store.
Bob Roller