Author Topic: Snakes and Fish  (Read 795 times)

Offline art riser

Snakes and Fish
« on: February 06, 2024, 12:03:37 AM »
Horn found in North Carolina. Original origin unknown.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Snakes and Fish
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 04:03:38 AM »
Can't tell you anything about it except that it is very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 04:50:46 AM »
Great Horn!!

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 05:19:17 PM »
 Another neat horn, I wonder what caused that gouge?

Tim

Offline aaronc

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 05:52:47 PM »
Another great looking piece. I was just thinking while looking at the Tree Horn on the other thread that I would love to "refurbish" that engraving. At least in the best appropriate aged manner that I could. I'm guessing that this would possibly be "incorrect" to do? Even if not presented as original and or sold as such. I would be curious as to other's thoughts on this.

@Tim Crosby   @John Proud
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline art riser

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 06:52:19 PM »
Folks copy original artwork all the time.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 06:53:56 PM »
Lovely. Horns with recessed throats are not typical of North Carolina, but I think I've seen pictures of one or two found there- IIRC, Grant shows one associated with the Winston-Salem area, and I think Briggs might illustrate one (perhaps the same one? I've never cross-referenced the two books...).

It looks pretty dark for an engraved horn in the pictures, and pretty uniform, with no color change between body and throat. If that due to aging, the photography, or was it a amber or green horn originally, due you think? I've been wondering about the possibility of engraving  naturally amber horns, given the difficulty of finding good white horns these days.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline art riser

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 06:58:30 PM »
Tim, The gouge seems to have been done to eliminate something unwanted. I saw that done years ago on a horn depicting Adam and Eve. The genital area had been eliminated in a similar manner. Art

Offline art riser

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 07:11:18 PM »
Elnathan, The horn is rather dirty. It appears to be an amber color overall with a patch or two of ochre. I don't plan to clean it. Unusual scrim on a somewhat refined horn. Native American work? Lonely sailor? We will probably never know. Art

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 09:44:15 PM »
Fantastic find! Thank you for sharing, I love the patina and I would leave it exactly as is

Tony

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 11:32:45 PM »
Tim, The gouge seems to have been done to eliminate something unwanted. I saw that done years ago on a horn depicting Adam and Eve. The genital area had been eliminated in a similar manner. Art

Never would have thought of that move. I think I would have been afraid to make such a deep divot. Something to remember when looking at horns with odd marks, cuts, or shaded areas that don't look like they fit.

Tim

Offline aaronc

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 01:14:25 AM »
Folks copy original artwork all the time.

Art, I was referring to that actual horn.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.