Author Topic: This Is A Reply To A Question That Was Asked In The Snake & Fishes Thread:  (Read 557 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 The Question by Aaron:

"I was just thinking while looking at the Tree Horn on the other thread that I would love to "refurbish" that engraving. At least in the best appropriate aged manner that I could. I'm guessing that this would possibly be "incorrect" to do? Even if not presented as original and or sold as such. I would be curious as to other's thoughts on this.

@Tim Crosby   @John Proud"

Art's response:

"Folks copy original artwork all the time."

My answer to Aaron's question:

Aaron,
 I'm one of them at least as close as I can get or with slight modifications. Michael Briggs' and Dr. Hopkins' books among others, Art's site and Pix have kept me busy for a years and I have just scrapped the surface. This one is out of Pt I of "Bone Tipped & Banded Horns", Pgs 186 & 187.
 Michael's book: "Piedmont North Carolina Banded Powder Horns Hunting Bags And Bullet Molds" has many fine horns in it. Another is Bill Ivey's "North Carolina Schools Of Longrifles 1765-1865" is another good reference, there are many others.

Tim

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 12:16:27 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline art riser

Love that horn!

Offline Elnathan

I thought he was talking about re-cutting the worn engraving a little deeper to make it visible again, not copying it on another horn.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
I think he was....
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline art riser

Not something I would ever want to see.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
  I missed that. TC